What's new

FatBoy mechanism load 'hump' - oil / lube??

Greetings.

Received a used FatBoy recently.
Rather like the balance & shave.

But -- there's a disquieting 'hump'/hesitation/resistance in the load mechanism as the doors close. One has to use extra torque/force to get it to close. Sort of like pushing a wagon along smooth pavement and encountering a small hill/bump.

Is this the sign of a failing TTO mechanism?
Or might it be cured with a lubricant of some sort
(and if so, what's the suggested/best approach)?

Thoughts/suggestions welcome.

Thanks.

- Richard

There is a final quarter turn that locks the blade in on all Gillette TTO adjustables that I've handled.

+1. if it is the last 90° I think it is normal. that same "hump" must be overcome to unlock it and as such prevents the mechanism from unlocking during use. (which would be a bad thing)

Great info above from the quarter turn final lock position and the lube with mineral oil.
I would also suggest a quick boil (about 10 minutes). Many times a build up of gunk will accumulate up in the razor often at this hitch point making a larger than normal "hump" if you will.

Followed by a little lube and you should be good to go.
If not then it would be to a worn spot at this point but that is not a common issue.

Where does one lube it? From the base? At the point that sticks up at the doors?

If you oil at the point that sticks up, oil it a drop at a time, them turn the ring and open and close it, then repeat until you feel oil come out of the bottom. I also add some drops where the knob meets the main shaft. A drop near the bottom of the dial, should lube everything up fine. I use TriFlow oil, as it's teflon impregnated, and lasts a long time.

If you oil at the point that sticks up, oil it a drop at a time, them turn the ring and open and close it, then repeat until you feel oil come out of the bottom. I also add some drops where the knob meets the main shaft. A drop near the bottom of the dial, should lube everything up fine. I use TriFlow oil, as it's teflon impregnated, and lasts a long time.

Rev -
So are you talking about oiling both rings (the 'shave adjustment ring' and the 'TTO' ring)?
- Richard

Rev -
So are you talking about oiling both rings (the 'shave adjustment ring' and the 'TTO' ring)?
- Richard

Yes. I don't have my Fat Boy in front of me, so I'm trying to go from memorey. I don't lube the top of the adjustment(numbered) ring, but rather the bottom. It's the part where it rotates from. I also oil at the little seperation between the main handle part and the TTO part. Oil in the hole in the head where the bar is goes down the handle center and eventually out the bottom where the "cap" is. I found easier locking and un locking(the extra 1/4 turn) went easier after I oiled the spot in between the handle and the TTO ring/knob.

I recently got a hold of some Tri-Flow food grade grease. It's grease that is safe for use in food prep machines. It too contains teflon, and is very thick. I have been contemplating injecting some into my Fat Boy to in essence seal all the internal workings from any chance of deposits, and to keep it lubricated for a very long time. Haven't had the ambition to get the required piece together to try it, but if I do, I'll post.

Rev -
- Richard

XPC

I boil mine, then submerge them entirely in mineral oil and let them soak for a while. then check the operation. if it improves but seems to still be wrong, boil it again and soak in oil again. when it seems to be as good as it will get, I then wipe them down with a soft towel. done.

Top Bottom