What's new

Do we really need to stretch blade life?

I do three shaves and change. As inexpensive as blades are trying to stretch as much life out of them as you can isn't worth a bad shave.

3 days on mid level blades (those I have deemed worthy of making the cut, as many know, there are a large portion of YMMV blades out there!). My top 5 choices will all give me 5 days easily, but then they just have to go! (It's a mental thing ...). I have given away all of my sample packs on what doesn't work for me to friends who are just getting into DE shaving. Although... my fascination with this alchemy will always find me trying a new brand not used yet.

Last edited:
I use a blade until it no longer feels good on my face. I don't consider the cost, nor do I keep track or have any idea of how many shaves I have used a blade. I don't see why I should toss a blade that is still shaving perfectly fine.

yolo i toss after second shave no matter what sometimes 1and done lifes to short and my face is too pretty :D

Other than fragrance, is there any other subject more YMMV that blades?

I used the Wilkinson blades that came with my razor for a month, until my technique settled down; I'd done this DE thing years before, for 20+ years. When I got my blade sampler, I moved through the various blades with no previously established opinions. I used each blade until I began to feel it tugging, or fighting me back. Then I binned it.

I found that every blade is fine up to 3 shaves, but some are pooping out on #3. These I put in my "eh" pile. A very few have given me excellent shaves for more days, up to five. Astra SP and Feathers have so far proved the best; I even ordered my first 100 hundred of Astra. As I retry the others, I see another 100 of Feathers, and maybe 100 Gillette Yellow 7 O'Clock, but that one's tentative; I need more testing.

One thing I have learned: the blades are cheap enough so I don't care if I bin one. On the other hand, I don't waste money, so my blades last from two to six shaves, even another shave or two with my favorite blades, but if I want a new blade at any time, I treat myself.

I use the blade until it stops giving a good shave. If it ended the last shave with some life to it then it gets the next shave. If I was wrong about the sharpness left in the blade then I dump it and start on a new razor mid-shave. I don't see a reason to dump a perfectly good blade just because it's cheap. When it stops being a good blade then it's time to move on.

I have very coarse beard so I usually get 3-4 shaves out of my Personnas. I was pushing to get three out of some brands.

I don't see a reason to stretch blade life beyond it's useful service. At the same time, I won't toss a blade based on an arbitrary number or day of the week. When I feel a blade begin to degrade, it's gone. Sure, I could toss a blade after every one or two uses and still get years of shaves. Those blade stockpiles really sneak up on you, you know?

I just hate being wasteful. If I don't use the blade through it's useful life, than I feel like I've caused unnecessary waste.

Of course not for that reason.

But if you want to make sure that your technique and prep are top notch in order to enjoy your shaves to the maximum stretching the blades life is a very good method IMHO.

I have for the last 5+ years enjoyed daily BBS shaves and have been refining my technique and prep to the extent that I just last week finished 56 shaves on a Polsilver SI blade. The first as good as the last one! :thumbup1:
If the 56th was as good as the shave you got a couple months ago, why not go for the 57th?

Hyperbole much? :laugh:

If the 56th was as good as the shave you got a couple months ago, why not go for the 57th?

Hyperbole much? :laugh:

I have this weekly cycle; I change razor and brush every Saturday. The blade would have left too much to the cleanup after one more week.

The 56th shave told me that my technique is in place; the 57th (with that blade ) would have led me to a week of too much stubble after 24 hours.

It's all really about the enjoyment of the shave and predictable usage of the blade leads to comfortable shaves. The Polsilver SI is the longest lasting of my blades, the others I use for 4 to 7 weeks.

Depending on the brand, I'm all over the map. 2 days on a feather, 4 on a voshkod or gillette, I've gotten over a week on some vintage blades. I shave with it till it feels uncomfortable. Then it might get changed out mid shave.

Anyone should at least get 4 to 5 shaves from any blade changing to me is just a waste of time and money. Some people feel the need to change phones every year, just another waste of money.
Although I have a new car, I mainly drive my 17 year old truck.

I don't see a reason to stretch blade life beyond it's useful service. At the same time, I won't toss a blade based on an arbitrary number or day of the week. When I feel a blade begin to degrade, it's gone. Sure, I could toss a blade after every one or two uses and still get years of shaves. Those blade stockpiles really sneak up on you, you know?

I just hate being wasteful. If I don't use the blade through it's useful life, than I feel like I've caused unnecessary waste.

+1 well said.

I usually get about 5 shaves from a blade, but I follow the "use it until it does not give a good shave" philosophy. No need to waste things.

Anyone should at least get 4 to 5 shaves from any blade changing to me is just a waste of time and money. Some people feel the need to change phones every year, just another waste of money.
Although I have a new car, I mainly drive my 17 year old truck.

Best way to look at it. If it ain't broke... My phone is 3 years old, and I (had :mad3:) an '88 LS Caprice Classic that I paid a thousand bucks for and it served me well for 2 months shy of nine years!

Top Bottom