What's new

GEM Micromatic

Ok Gents, I currently have a GEM 1912 and I came across a GEM Micromatic and am curious if I need it, I see where its not a whole lot different other than being a twist to open and the cool bullet tip knob to open it, only have one SE razor and I thought this would be kinda cool even though it's a GEM. So do I try to pick it up or is there another SE razor I should be looking for.

Thanks

The only Micromatic that I have is the open comb, and although I like it, I have found the 1912 to shave closer, but you will probably find others who have the opposite opinion. It sounds like you are looking at a bullet tip, which I have no experience with, but if it is in good shape and the price is low, you can always sell it and get your money back out of it if you don't like it. My favorite SE so far is the Ever-Ready 1924. For me it is smoother than the 1912 and shaves as close if not closer, but as always YMMV :001_smile

Bullet tips are milder than Clog Prufs which are milder than open combs.

Nothing wrong with with having all 3, a Gbar, a 1912, a 1914, a 1924, a featherweight, couple lather catchers, a Streamline....

Ok Gents, I currently have a GEM 1912 and I came across a GEM Micromatic and am curious if I need it, I see where its not a whole lot different other than being a twist to open and the cool bullet tip knob to open it, only have one SE razor and I thought this would be kinda cool even though it's a GEM. So do I try to pick it up or is there another SE razor I should be looking for.

Thanks

Need it? Of course you do. You have only one SE razor. In addition to the bullet tip you should be looking for a Clog Pruf and an Open Comb, ideally one of each in both gold and chrome. Then there are the Damaskeenes, 1914's, Lather Catchers, Shovelheads, G-bars, Featherweights, and more. You need them all, if for no other reason than so you can intelligently discuss them in forums such as this one.:thumbup1:

And we haven't even talked about injectors yet.

Disclosure: I'm up to about 40 SE's now, with 3 more presently on the way.

--Bob

Aside from SE RAD I say get a MMOC. To me the GBar and Clog Pruf were both so mild, as to be almost interchangeable. The OC is just aggressive enough. If you are used to a NEW, the MMOC is a nice step up in aggressiveness.

I'm about ready to post my GBar and Clog Pruf on the B/S/T.

Well received my Micromatic today and it's perfect, cant wait to try it out. Had planned on using it tomorrow but have a straight coming on Saturday so going let some growth happen to see how using a straight goes.

And pics or it's not true:

$IMG_1668.jpg$IMG_1669.jpg$IMG_1670.jpg$IMG_1671.jpg

I recently got one of these in user grade (not as beautiful as yours, but I much prefer it to my G-Bar or 1912. Gives me a nice comfortable close shave. Best $15 I've spent!

I like the Flying Wing, gives a nice shave, I do like my Clug Pruf a little better. Hate my 1912, but that's OK it hates me too.

The bullet tip is a milder razor than the 1912, recently it has been my "go to" razor. I like it for no other reason than with the exception of the "Streamline" it is the coolest design of the bunch, with it's "art deco" styling.

The Gem Micromatics are excellent razors, and with a quality single edge blade will produce a quality shave. The different models do shave slightly differently, and are generally recognized as relatively mild to moderate in aggressiveness. They are inexpensive and worth buying and putting in your rotation.

I recently got one of these in user grade (not as beautiful as yours, but I much prefer it to my G-Bar or 1912. Gives me a nice comfortable close shave. Best $15 I've spent!

Spent alittle more than $15 but it's awful pretty, actually looks unused like no scratches, brassing etc... And it came with some original Gem blades

Spent alittle more than $15 but it's awful pretty, actually looks unused like no scratches, brassing etc... And it came with some original Gem blades

Panther, that is a beautiful razor, and a great price. I think you're going to love the way it shaves. I wouldn't however, use the original Gem Blades, as they are uncoated and not up to modern standards. Besides you'll want to save them as vintage collectables.
I actually get a great shave in my Micromatics with most single edge blades. The Gem Super Stainless blades will probably provide the best shave, at least they do for me, in that particular razor. Good luck, nice score, and enjoy!

Panther, that is a beautiful razor, and a great price. I think you're going to love the way it shaves. I wouldn't however, use the original Gem Blades, as they are uncoated and not up to modern standards. Besides you'll want to save them as vintage collectables.
I actually get a great shave in my Micromatics with most single edge blades. The Gem Super Stainless blades will probably provide the best shave, at least they do for me, in that particular razor. Good luck, nice score, and enjoy!

I tried some vintage blades alittle ways back with a DE razor and had less than positive results so i don't really try to use them anymore.
:shaving:

Wow, the case and all...excellent score, Panther! This looks like it is in really good shape, so congratulations. Be sure to post your thoughts on it once you have used it. You know us SE guys; we can't talk enough about these things :laugh:

sweet bullet tip.now ive got to have a gold one to go with my chrome one.must.......resist.............RAD.at least until november.

Need it? Of course you do. You have only one SE razor. In addition to the bullet tip you should be looking for a Clog Pruf and an Open Comb, ideally one of each in both gold and chrome. Then there are the Damaskeenes, 1914's, Lather Catchers, Shovelheads, G-bars, Featherweights, and more. You need them all, if for no other reason than so you can intelligently discuss them in forums such as this one.:thumbup1:

And we haven't even talked about injectors yet.

Disclosure: I'm up to about 40 SE's now, with 3 more presently on the way.

--Bob

And this should only be the beginning!

Top Bottom