What's new

The Key to a smooth shave

I found your problem.

Bevel is the foundation but the finishing does impact smoothness.

For me you can have two identically set bevels, finish one on the saran wrap and the other on a JNAT and the other on film and the JNAT one feels better.

Can you achieve smooth without the bevel being properly set?

That's all I'm saying here.

You guys like to mystify the simple.

Don't use your straight to spread peanut butter on toast immediately prior to shaving
Don't use your straight to open boxes in the mailroom at work
Don't use your straight to pry open a can of paint
Don't leave your straight out in the rain.....
I gotta take note of these…

I guess I'm one of those guys who feel that the setting of the bevel is critical; everything that follows is subordinate.
All factor into the end result, however: a quality shave.

You just hate to admit that you agree with me....

:001_cool:

I have not problem agreeing with you, even a blind squirrel finds a nut every once in a while-lol.

I have always said film is easy to use and if you like the edges it is a good medium. I happen not to like the edges.

I don't think you will have anyone disagree with you, if the bevel is not right anything done post that step is polishing a turd

Well, I can't speak as to your other apparent pastime there...

but I'm just putting this idea out there again for the sake of discussion and as a reminder to all of our newer honing brothers.

So all this is to reinform people to set bevels properly?

Yes.

A Lot Of guys get all caught up in chasing after the latest and greatest stones, JNats, Cherokee Naturals, 0.0001um sprays, diluting he slurry to 1/10th of its' previous concentration, except in cases of using tape, etc, etc.

When the fact of the matter is that if you simply set the friggen bevel correctly (i.e.- get some good HHT off of your 1K as an example of what I'm talking about), then the rest is much easier.

The finished edge is a sum of its parts.

You can have a spot-on bevel and still get at a harsh shave from mishandled midrange or finish work.
However - if the bevel isn't on the money, the finished edge will never realize it's full potential.

I do think most felt harshness (or whatever anyone wants to call it) is the result of an 'off' bevel.
Well, that and poorly executed lather and too-steep blade angles.

The finished edge is a sum of its parts.

You can have a spot-on bevel and still get at a harsh shave from mishandled midrange or finish work.
However - if the bevel isn't on the money, the finished edge will never realize it's full potential.

I do think most felt harshness (or whatever anyone wants to call it) is the result of an 'off' bevel.
Well, that and poorly executed lather and too-steep blade angles.

This thread has it all:

The perfect trifecta-Gamma, Doc and Brooksie all agreeing with me.

The End is near!

proxy.php

I disagree. A bevel is not necessary for smoothness. You will never feel anything smoother on your face than the nicely rounded, polished spine of a straight razor. You won't remove much hair but it will be very smooth. You wanna cut hair, you need a bevel. You want both, then the bevel is the first step. There are other steps to follow. I don't think there's any way you can set a bevel, do nothing else, and have a smooth shave. It is a key step but not THE only key step.

I disagree. A bevel is not necessary for smoothness. You will never feel anything smoother on your face than the nicely rounded, polished spine of a straight razor. You won't remove much hair but it will be very smooth. You wanna cut hair, you need a bevel. You want both, then the bevel is the first step. There are other steps to follow. I don't think there's any way you can set a bevel, do nothing else, and have a smooth shave. It is a key step but not THE only key step.
That's what I was doing wrong. I had my razors facing the wrong way. [emoji4]

Yeah but it was 'touch and go' there for a while; the whole question of film vs. stones cropped up.... again (or is that still?).

This thread has it all:

The perfect trifecta-Gamma, Doc and Brooksie all agreeing with me.

The End is near!

The title of this thread is:
"The Key to a smooth shave"

If you have a rounded edge, as in your hypothetical situation, you will not be shaving, and thus, obscurum per obscurius it has no part in this particular discussion.

(I knew someone would take a pot-shot at me in this thread, I hadn't expected it from you, Chaloney.....You're off my Christmas card list henceforth!)

It is a key step but not THE only key step.

One cannot build a house without first setting the foundation. Therefore I stand by my initial assertion: setting the bevel is the key to the whole deal

Agreed. There's no substitute for a well set bevel. What's more, how you set it influences the final result. Circles and edge trailing do not, IMHO, produce the smoothest edges. They do cut down on the time required to set the bevel. But for smoothness, I've not found better than an x.

Top Bottom