What's new

Broke off

I have a Spike straight that was my grandfather's. I was trying to learn to shave with it and tbe scale broke near an inlay near the pivot end. It fits back together nicely. I'm wondering what to glue it back together with. Epoxy? Super glue? It is some sort of plastic scale.

Thanks.

Show us some pics. Perhaps PM one of the masters here like Mycarver for input. If it needs to be re-scaled, it is not the end of the world.

Mycarver actually honed a nic out of it before.

Attachments

• $uploadfromtaptalk1413407918812.jpg
    $uploadfromtaptalk1413407918812.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 119
  • $uploadfromtaptalk1413407945294.jpg
    $uploadfromtaptalk1413407945294.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 119
There is quite a bit of stress at the pivot end. I've had good success with a patented process trying to keep scales together. Well OK , I grind a relief on the inside and add splints as scales are so thin there is no support. But on a relatively clear scale this presents problems. A blonde honey horn scale would look right at home here and be quite sturdy. This would save the esthetics of the piece and be of good service.

Maybe we are talking apples and oranges. Bolsters are the bits on the end with the cut outs?

Could be!
I didn't pull up my records on the laptop but I do remember the bolsters. Bu I didn't remember any razors lately with what I'd call an inlay. May be just semantics but I call something in the center of a scale an inlay ( like my Whale ) and the end pieces bolsters.
What ever , they can be swapped. They'd lay on the surface but would be secure as opposed to being cut in.

Dictionary says bolster is a support. That's more correct I guess. These sit flush or are inlayed. Still possible to replace the scales? Seems like a lot of work.

Sure. This little diagram works too. Instead of escutcheon I call me' inlays.

This is is just two handy examples . I've done lots more but they're on my laptop.

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 76
  • $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 75
Top Bottom