What's new

Gillette British Popular #45

I've been wanting one of these sets for quite a few months now, and finally snagged one.

This is the 1939 version, with the new Aristocrat-like knurling, instead of the Senator-like knurling seen on the older 1938 version.

It's a nice set, that doesn't pop up for sale very often, especially in such a nice condition.
The pics don't do it justice, but IMO these sets are stunning, I actually prefer these to the #47 which came in a nickel plated case. I love this type of cases and this blue one is very attractive.

These sets came with two Blue Blades included, and this particular set came with one blade still wrapped, I unwrapped it to check the date code (not pictured) and the code is G4 which means 4th quarter 1936. It's older than the rest of the set, but who knows ... might even be one of the blades that came with it, back in 1939 or so.

The TTO mechanism is a bit unusual and by design, when you turn the knob it doesn't open the doors automatically. As Porter said in another thread recently, the best is to use the centrifugal force, by holding the knob and twist the handle instead. Not a real issue, just different.

Anyway, thanks for reading. :thumbsup:

$1.jpg

$2.jpg

$3.jpg

$4.jpg

$5.jpg

Last edited:
But seriously... Very nice razor. I would add it to my wish list, but I can't seem to find the other end...

i bet your heart got a nice rise when that baby got dropped off! another like christmas morning experience opening up that one. sure is a beaut!

Congratulations Edgar. A great find after a long search. Enjoy, and let us know how it shaves.

Cheers, George

Thank you, Gentlemen.

Congratulations Edgar. A great find after a long search. Enjoy, and let us know how it shaves.

Cheers, George

Thank you George, it was indeed a long search.
I'll post an update a bit later. :thumbup1:

congratulations for this very nice set. Your blade looks newer for me, so I think it´s from 1961. Are there the patent numbers on the blade, like my 1939 Blue Blade?

Hi Achim, thanks!

Well you are obviously right, I ignored that part ... it is a 1961 blade indeed:

$CAM01693.jpg

But I ignored something else actually ... :blushing: The set came with another blade, but this was already unwrapped, a German one. Based on the patent and the "DRP" I think this is a pre WWII blade, can you confirm? Doesn't have a code, only the patent numbers and that ''451", is that a date code or something? This one is also much thicker than the G4 made in England.

$CAM01694.jpg

$CAM01695.jpg

Last edited:
Edgar should be publicly sued before the B&B magistrates - the crime - luring many unsuspecting members into RAD and as a consequence, being responsible for the steady price increase of vintage Gillettes.

Seriously though - that is IMMACULATE!

Top Bottom