What's new

Budget Watch?

Some I've seen claim the Vostok Amphibia is a good watch in the $60 range.
$$T2eC16N,!zcE9s4g0-K8BQ+l6Q5,1g~~60_3.JPG

Although it has an inconvenient date-setting function, I have to admit I find this Russian watch intriguing.

I got my Seiko 5 for about $75, shipped. The Weekender mentioned above is also a good option (I have one) and runs about $25-30. Heck, get both!

I have the Russian watch mentioned - Vostok - and, ahem, your opinion of it changes when you set the time. When you unscrew it the crazy wheel very nearly seems to want to fall off. This has been the case with two of them for me. Having said that it does keep good time and is very Soviet looking so provides variety. For how much longer I do not know...

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
i will be following along closely as I'm thinking bout getting back in the watch wearing.
$100 seems about right

The vostok is designed to be like that to prevent breaking the stem of the crown

I vote for seiko 5 for an auto, or timex weekender. I had/have a weekender that served me very well, until the crown sheared off.

The vostok is designed to be like that to prevent breaking the stem of the crown

What he said. There's a few other features that watch snobs dis. One is the plexiglass crystal. It's designed to flex under pressure at extreme water depths. It's pretty thick and can easily be buffed out if scratched.

There's a break-in period after which you have a fine running automatic that's really heavy duty.

$1269557d1383394775-new-vostok-amphibia-se-se110.jpg

Legion

Staff member
From my experience I would go a Chinese watch again before a Russian one.

I had one like this, until recently, when it drowned. (not the watches fault.)

It was very accurate, and looked very nice. Cost about $80 delivered. I'd by another.

proxy.php

proxy.php

I've had an amphibia, and loved the offbeat style, but the bezel popped off several times before it died. It lasted about 6 months under very light use.

I've had an amphibia, and loved the offbeat style, but the bezel popped off several times before it died. It lasted about 6 months under very light use.

I beat the crap out of my Amphibia's and never had one die on me. How old was it? A lot of repairs amount to blowing out the inside. They are very diy serviceable watches. I'd take a second look at it. I've seen guys drive trucks over them. YMMV :lol:
Btw, the bezel is held in place by a spring. I'd stretch it a bit, that should make it snug again preventing the bezel from coming off. FWIW I've never had a bezel pop off any of mine.

Another Amphibia owner here. I'm quite happy with both of mine - I've had the first one for around 2 years now. The styling and wobbly crown is definitely unique! Being able to buy different styles of bezel and swap them out yourself is pretty neat, too.

I don't own a Seiko 5, but they're often recommended as good value for money.

There are also some interesting critters made in China for domestic (rather than export) sale like this:
$img_4234.jpg

$img_0963.jpg
(These are both made by Shanghai - the company, not the city)

I don't know what finally happened to your watch, but the bezel problem could almost certainly have been solved by some light bending of the retaining wire.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I got my Seiko 5 for about $75, shipped. The Weekender mentioned above is also a good option (I have one) and runs about $25-30. Heck, get both!

Another Seiko 5 recommendation. The 7S26 movement is a fairly robust one. I, though, got mine for a better price. I pop into a pawn store on the 1st and 15th of the month. I found a brand new, nary a scratch on the case, Seiko 5 and got it for $30 out the door.

You can also look ( as he ducks ) at the Automatic Invicta lineup. Most are Diver styles but have some dressy looks. they pay homage to Rolex Sub-Mariner and are a good deal for the money and you can find them for about 75-125..They have the Japanese Miyota Automatic movement, which is an absolute work horse.. The 8926 or 8926C ( Coin Edge ) stainless or the other 8900 series of Pro Diver that are offered in goldtone, rosetone, and others. Invicta is a very "polarizing" brand people either love them or hate them. I have a number of Pro Diver Autos and they are run perfectly and the fit and finish is great.

I've had a couple of swatch watches that took a bit of punishment. They have heaps of different styles and colours. Depends on what look you want as to if one would suit. A number of options under $100.

I beat the crap out of my Amphibia's and never had one die on me. How old was it? A lot of repairs amount to blowing out the inside. They are very diy serviceable watches. I'd take a second look at it. I've seen guys drive trucks over them. YMMV :lol:
Btw, the bezel is held in place by a spring. I'd stretch it a bit, that should make it snug again preventing the bezel from coming off. FWIW I've never had a bezel pop off any of mine.

Very possible that I just got a bad one....
The bezel seemed a bit big. Trying messing with the spring, but it would still pop off everytime it caught on a belt or backpack strap. The watch itself just stopped one day. Opened it up and a gear had slipped out of place, and I could not get it reseated. I was living in a small town in Japan, with no watch shop. Had paid about $50 for it, and it wasn't worth the shipping to pursue it. I'm kind of tempted to try another, though, as so many have had good experiences, and I do love the styling.

Top Bottom