What's new

Tips for face lathering

One pointer I got from a couple of trips to barbers for a shave, is how long they spent time lathering up on my face. I mean really working the lather up and working it into my stubble.

Keeping this in mind, I reckon I spend a good couple of minutes building up lather when face lathering. I use an Omega boar brush, and I find that generally I can get 3 shaves loaded into the brush, but I'll revisit the soap (or cream) if needed.

Despite the fact that I've got a hoard of soaps, I think that in the past 12 months or so I've been using Stirling with the occasional KMF or Body Shop cream (in the tube) when at home, and when travelling it's been a La Toja stick.

I have a lot of soaps, soft soaps and creams. Actually, I have too many. I have found that various shaving products such as soaps and creams are very personal products. As an example two very controversial soaps are Mitchell’s Wool Fat and Tabac. Some people dislike both some people can’t live without both. I use one brush for hard soaps and always make a lather in a bowl. I use another brush for creams and soft soaps and most of them I use a bowl to make my lather. However, there are some of these soaps, creams and soft soaps that I face lather; the soaps are generally not hard tripped milled soaps. The whole thing comes down to experimentation try various methods with various products and brushes and use the method that you and only you determine to be best. If your theory is I only want to face lather and it is not working with a specific product change you method or discontinue using it.

First, judge your lather on Quality, not Quantity. Does the lather in Pass #1 do an effective job of providing glide and lubrication? That's all that counts.

If you have to reload more soap or cream for Pass #2 and #3, its not a problem.

I exclusively face-lather, and I very rarely have to reload my brush. I get enough lather for 3 passes with plenty left over. If I'm using soap, I load the brush with about 30 seconds of swirling on the puck, this builds up a pre-lather that I finish when I put brush to face. If I'm using cream, I will squirt a snurdle on my hand and apply it both cheeks and my neck, then distribute it by hand working up a pre-lather in the process, then finish the job with the brush.
dmp802
Just wanted to say I tried your method from face-lathering creams. Worked very well with KSM and Proraso. I would say that is the equivalent of using a stick directly on your face vs a puck. I like the former better.
Today I tried it with Tabac cream, I applied a generous amount on my cheeks and neck and when I tried to lather with the brush ... nothing. I then squirted some more directly on the brush (the way I was doing it before I read your recommendation) and it worked. Not sure if I should have used more product on the first step or Tabac doesn't work so well with this method. Will give a try next time.

face-lathering is fun, whether with soap or cream.
with a cream, i use ample snurdle, really hot water.
i begin by lathering some in a bowl or mug, then finish lathering on the face until yogurty.
good stuff.

$trumpers spanish leather oct 28 2014.jpg

Top Bottom