What's new

First go with a GEM Micromatic

I recently received a couple of GEMs from a member and decided to share my first experience.

At first glance, I was a bit intimidated by the Micromatic open comb. It certainly looked aggressive to me. I decided to give it a shot today and in preparation for my first MMOC shave, I didn't shave during my three day weekend. The results were stunning! I don't think I've ever had a smoother shave in my life. I had intended to only do one pass (WTG) and see how it went, but it was so smooth, I went for a second (XTG), and then a third (ATG) without any problems whatsoever. Not even a weeper or touch of irritation. The feedback (sound) from the razor was excellent, and it is very easy to feel the blade alignment and get the proper angle. This razor is truly brilliant and I can't wait to use it again!

Shave details:

Prep:
Washed face with Dr. Bronner's peppermint soap
Applied Proraso pre-shave liberally
Applied Palmolive shave stick and face lathered with my Bob Farvour TGN 2 band finest (24x48mm)

GEM MMOC with new CVS carbon steel blade
3 passes (WTG, XTG, ATG)

Pinaud Clubman
Nivea sensitive balm

Thanks Gents, and sign me up for the Lover of Single Edge Razors (L.O.S.E.R) club!

I love my 1912. I bought it for $10 and it quickly became one of my favorite razors. I'll have to try the open comb.

Whenever I’ve Skipped a couple days since shaving I always reach for my MMOC first.
It knocks down my beard to reasonable level so that I can then switch to a DE razor to finish. I like to use the SE blades first because they last longer( I just chew up thinner DE blades) I can usually get 2-3 single pass shaves w/ the SE’s. A bonus for me is that the MMOC works very well around my goatee. I can drive right into it and the OC stops it at just the right point.

Round two today. I had so little stubble this morning, I wondered if I should shave at all. I have had more stubble after shaving with an electric razor than I had 24 hours after doing a three pass with my OCMM.

I decided to go ahead and do a two pass (WTG/XTG) today and again, the results were outstanding. Can't wait to try the GEM stainless blades in this razor.

Top Bottom