What's new

Any Fish Tank people around?

I have a 40 gallon reef!
$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1413355490.077705.jpg

I have a 40 gallon reef!
View attachment 507725

Thats a nice healthy looking reef, that's what I was always trying to achieve, never worked out for me. I was younger and less responsible, and had less time to spend on it then. I've always said when I win the lottery, one of the luxuries I am going to have is a salt water tank that someone else maintains. Now I'm off to buy a lottery ticket, today could be my day.....

I need to get myself a new tank. I had a 55 gallon saltwater setup with a pair of green spotted puffers that I had slowly acclimated to the salt. Those guys were awesome! Like little underwater dogs. They would eat from my fingers, Chase around a little rubber ball on a stick, and act up when they were pissed. (pulling on the thermometer to make it clank against the glass was a favorite pastime of theirs.) I ended up having to sell them because I couldn't dedicate the time to keep up the tank.

I have a 60 gallon freshwater tank in my home office. Nothing makes the endless telephone conference calls more bearable than watching fish go around.

I had a 210 gallon reef tank. Biggest waste of money I ever spent. I had it for about 2 years and kept putting more and more money into it. If you thought Sad or Rad was bad..... They are a lot of work. I thought I would enjoy the work, but it gets old really quick. The best thing I ever did was to break it down and sell it all.

Now that my wife isn't in the room. I loved it. I would love to be able to do it again. She hated it. It is a pain sometimes but I liked the ecology of it. If you have a certain problem, solve it with this critter or fish. A lot of research went into every thing you put into the tank. It isn't a hobby that you can take lightly, if you get behind on something it can get out of control fast.

That's funny "now that my wife isn't in the room"
Thanks for the laugh.

Found a pic of the new aquarium we put into the new build-in. This is the one I intend to move to the new house at some point.
$IMG_1383.jpg

Here was the old one:
$IMG_1380.jpg

Thats a nice healthy looking reef, that's what I was always trying to achieve, never worked out for me. I was younger and less responsible, and had less time to spend on it then. I've always said when I win the lottery, one of the luxuries I am going to have is a salt water tank that someone else maintains. Now I'm off to buy a lottery ticket, today could be my day.....

Thank you! Unfortunately this was in it's prime and it's not quite looking like this right now. Fish are all good and healthy but I rarely do water changes. I'm a college student and gonna be moving away soon so I'm gonna be breaking it down within the next few months!

My kids have (and the old man does the bulk of the work for) a 150 gallon fresh water tank with pike, central/south American cichlid, and catfish, a 30 gallon reef/salt water tank, a 20 gallon tank with juvenile Managuense cichlids we are raising (1 to keep and 3 to sell), a 20 gallon Lake Tanganyika African cichlid tank, a 10 gallon fresh water tank with a Jack Dempsey and a Firemouth, 4 Betta tanks. . .

I used to be really into the aquarium thing before kids and swore it off as a money/time pit. Now I let my kids cajole me back into it.

I used to run 6 10 gallon tanks with a bunch of different types of characidae and really loved it. The smaller tanks were nice and cheap to run, eventually I got to where I was setting up tanks with fish all from the same country and region or river and making neat little ecosystems. Cardinal tetras were one of my favorites! I could have 12-15 in a school in a 10 gallon just fine. Then each tank would get issues either from sick fish or an overly aggressive fish and I eventually packed it all in.

Recently I have been keeping betta, my last one died of unknown causes, was really stumped. Water was good, diet was good, just became lethargic. I went down the list on medicines, treatments, and conditions. Really frustrated me to no end. Haven't got another one yet. Will soon though...

Almost fogot about my case of AAD (aquarium acquisition disorder) that I have since recovered from over 4 years ago. It all started innocently with a 10 gallon tank I pulled out of my parents attic, eventually upgraded to a 15, 30, then made the big jump to 75 gallons. After getting married and moving, I sold all the tanks and fish. I had 2 sets of fish (gourami's and cichlids) and would really like to get into cichlids again at some point (when my daughter is older). I know I have pics somewhere in my archives of pictures hidden on my pc somewhere. I enjoyed looking through all the pics posted here, some very nice setups here.

I've got a 65gal fresh. After years and years of fishkeeping with Neons, Zebras, etc., I finally discovered that bigger fish last longer and are easier.
Current denizens (and for about 3 years now) are six Red Hook Silver Dollars (about 4" dia), six Filament Barbs (about 5-6" long) and two Clown Plecos.

Tank runs itself -- aside from feeding, I ignore it for months at a time. Every so often I'll siphon out 10 gals of water and replace it, check the filter, chemistry, etc. Once a year or so I'll rip out all the (fake) plants and decorations, wash 'em and put 'em back in. I use black sand (not gravel) for the substrate -- seems much less prone to attracting detritus.

Almost fogot about my case of AAD (aquarium acquisition disorder) that I have since recovered from over 4 years ago

time have changed, it use to be MTS (multiple tank syndrome), and I am 10 years recovering. 2 years ago, I picked up a betta and then got him a 10gal fluval edge. I may also have a really nice 10gal acrylic cube aquariums and an Oceanic 46gal bowfront with matching 20gal sub tank and hqi pendant. both those tanks have been sitting empty for a decade, but I still hold onto them.

I just picked up a 29 gallon, set it up for salt and just started cycling it. I'm a couple of months from corals. That's what I'm really looking forward to.

Dont have pics but i used to have a 1m catfish called sammy...sammy the salmon tailed catfish 😂 after a while he just got to big and couldnt keep him so i released him...grew him since a baby :) hope ol sammy is still out there

I've done everything except planted tanks. Saltwater (FOWLR and reef, 1 gallon pico jar to 75 gallon RR with sump), species only, biotope (that one was a particular "challenge"!), community, African cichlids, and one very beautiful but time consuming paludarium (half land half water but vertical). At my "worst" I had 10 separate display tanks up and running. But that was a while ago when I had the time and tanks.

I'm currently down to "my daughter's" betta tank and a 3 gallon FW shrimp tank. I found steal of a deal on a 75 gal that I could not refuse ($40 for tank, lid, and stand). I let it sit too long trying to figure out what to do with it so Mrs. Rookie appropriated it for fire belly toads (lesson learned). That leaves me with an empty 55 that I have to figure out how to stock.

I don't have time and disposable income like I used to. I thought about planted, but honestly for the amount of work and equipment, I could do a nice saltwater setup. I think it'll either be an Amazon river tank, SE Asian theme, or I give it over to the kids for a loud tacky display.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Fantastic set up. Brilliant clear water!
I had fresh and salt water tanks i n The 80s. We got glo fish about 5 years ago. It was funny to see that not that much changed with technology in that gap. Ultimately the fish didn't last. Small household inhabitants not interested in maintaining it. Too much work. Difficult going on vacation. So when the last of the fish gave up the ghost i took it down. We also had a few fighting fish along the way too in the little jars. After having large tanks i couldn't get too excited about the fighting fish.

Top Bottom