What's new

Any Fish Tank people around?

I recently got myself a new tank. Upgraded to a 25G tall that I went fresh water planted with.

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1413312690.550295.jpg

I have 2 Flame Dwarf Gouramis

2 Blue Gouramis

5 Tiger Barbs

2 bubble mollies (SWMBOs pick)

1 Pleco

Looking to add some snails and shrimps here soon to finish it off. Anyone else a fish person? Show me your tanks!

Nice set up:001_smile just lost the last of our fish, had a nice Bristle Nose Plec and a few Honey Gouramis and put a pair of Dwarf Gouramis in a month or so ago, followed the usual quarantine stuff, went away for about a week and had a friend look after them, all very unwell when we got back and died very quickly, all water tests spot on so looks like a diseased fish went in!! Not going to restock the tank as we are looking at getting a larger set up, seen a really nice 240L/63G set up, it's about the only hobby my wife and I agree on

Last edited:
i have a 90gal with two RES turtles, both around 30 years old now

Attachments

• $uploadfromtaptalk1413314750357.jpg
    $uploadfromtaptalk1413314750357.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 80
Nice, I love turtles but I don't think I could do water turtles again without a pond. I'm itching to get a sulcata or other tortoise

I had a 210 gallon reef tank. Biggest waste of money I ever spent. I had it for about 2 years and kept putting more and more money into it. If you thought Sad or Rad was bad..... They are a lot of work. I thought I would enjoy the work, but it gets old really quick. The best thing I ever did was to break it down and sell it all.

Now that my wife isn't in the room. I loved it. I would love to be able to do it again. She hated it. It is a pain sometimes but I liked the ecology of it. If you have a certain problem, solve it with this critter or fish. A lot of research went into every thing you put into the tank. It isn't a hobby that you can take lightly, if you get behind on something it can get out of control fast.

Reef tanks can be anything fish, coral, invertebraes or all of it. Makes shaving AD look like chump change.

I had a 210 gallon reef tank. Biggest waste of money I ever spent. I had it for about 2 years and kept putting more and more money into it. If you thought Sad or Rad was bad..... They are a lot of work. I thought I would enjoy the work, but it gets old really quick. The best thing I ever did was to break it down and sell it all.

Now that my wife isn't in the room. I loved it. I would love to be able to do it again. She hated it. It is a pain sometimes but I liked the ecology of it. If you have a certain problem, solve it with this critter or fish. A lot of research went into every thing you put into the tank. It isn't a hobby that you can take lightly, if you get behind on something it can get out of control fast.

+1
biggest money suck I have gotten involved in, everything was good until I went salt water. Then the money really started flowing down the drain.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
+1
biggest money suck I have gotten involved in, everything was good until I went salt water. Then the money really started flowing down the drain.

I really want a salt water tank, but like everyone says they are a money pit.

Nice looking tank! I have a 55 set up at the moment but its about to come down. I have a 75 bow front sitting idle the will get the fish from the 55. No good pics at the moment to show.

Be careful adding a Pleco and snails to a new tank. Unless you substitute a food source they will starve. Prob with that is once you do wind up with algae the pleco will be more dependant on the supplied food and ignore the algae. Your snails will then eat the algae and breed like crazy. To control them you can get assassin snails. They only eat other snails and are cool to watch. They can live in fresh water but only breed in salt water.

Keep an eye on your tiger barbs. They will nip fins as they get bigger.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Great advice from Freddie. The barbs will look at those gourami fins the way my daughter looks at a lobster. Plecos are one of my favorite fish. They have food for them (my last one had a taste for expensive kombu and seaweed) but you really want them to clear the algae from the tank, something they may not see in that pristine looking aquarium for quite some time.

I wouldn't add anything to that tank for a year, or until your nitrogen cycle is well established.

I have been supplementing algae to the pleco and he seems to be doing fine but I did hear that about them and I only got him at the wife's behest. I am going to get some snails and an assassin snail once those have taken hold because with snails its inevitable the best are the shrimp, looking to get red crystals and maybe some cherry shrimp. The barbs should be alright since the Gouramis get bigger than them and tbh I could care less about the mollies. I hate mollies but the wife wanted them. I love watching the barbs play though so they are worth it.

I will eventually switch to salt water but I know what I'm getting into. My tank/light setup is ready to go since I'm using reef lights but the wife and I are willing to wait and put money away for the start up costs like sand and live rock and corals, not to mention the livestock. Salt is expensive!

ouch

Once a salt water tank is properly established, it's really no harder than a freshwater tank. You could also try African cichlids.

i had cichlids, great fish, till i put in a pair of F1 dempseys and they startes breeding like jack rabbits, my tank couldnt handle it, but it was fun to watch momma suck in her stray babies and spit them back into their little nest

I had a 58 gal freshwater tank and then had a larger custom-built tank (don't remember exactly how big). Fish are a lot of fun. The renters at my old house don't use/want the custom tank, so I'll probably take it out and move it over here one of these days.

I've never done salt water, but the fish are undeniably cool. I think as long as you steer clear of corals, it doesn't have to be that much more expensive than freshwater.

Yeah the best part of Salt is the corals IMO but if you know your local fish store people you can usually work things out. Also network with other people with tanks and get fragments of theirs for pretty cheap. I went fresh because I should be moving soon and it's cheaper for fresh. Just added 2 new Kory Catfish tonight.

I love these lights. They ramp up/down automatically and have the "moonlight" function. This is a picture of it under that setting.

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1413342241.804366.jpg

ouch

That's great. I used to have to leave a night light on for my arowana, otherwise he would jump out of the tank.

I've had a 55 gallon tank with African Cichlids for around 3 years now. They are some sturdy fish and don't require a bunch of care. They do tend to set about killing each other occasionally though, I've learned to not get too attached. It's cool that they are a fish that recognizes the owner, or feeder I should say. If my kids go to feed them without me, they shy away in a state of mistrust. When I enter the room they'll come to the top and start fighting for position for first dibs on the food.

Top Bottom