What's new

Neck Irritation / pre shave with Nivea hand cream

Hi gents

I irritated my neck yesterday while my daughter was "mosquitoing" around me ...:) she likes watching her dad shaving and I'm sweating blood when she plays in my bathroom.... But I love her so much and she enlightens my mornings like no sunrise could do....

So what can I do if not irritating myself ?

That said:

Since I must shave everyday I decided to apply some Nivea cream (the one in the blue tin we all know since centuries) as a pre-shave treatment. I just remembered this morning this piece of advice I was given some 20 years ago by an old colleague of mine. He was from Naples and a true wet shaver.

Well....amazing result so far. I could perform a nice 3 pass shave (1 WTG and 2 XTG) without worsening the situation at all.

The cream penetrated well over my wet face and resisted to an intensive face lathering and the blade was easy to wash afterwards.

Used my Ikon OSS a Gillette Bleue Extra and Tiki Fougere tallow.
AS= Captain's choice Bay Rum

Just my 2 cents of Euro ....

Have a nice..shave

Last edited:
I wonder...

The Euro version or the one sold in North America? The one sold in the blue tin?

This experiment seems worth a shot. I like creams better than oils for preshaves.

I wonder...

The Euro version or the one sold in North America? The one sold in the blue tin?

This experiment seems worth a shot. I like creams better than oils for preshaves.

$article-2418153-1B949389000005DC-368_306x242.jpg

This is the one, made in Italy .... formula should be the same in the US, IMO

I find that Aquaphor also works very well for this postshave. I too shave every day and after my final rinse, splash some witch hazel on my face and follow it up a minute or so later with a small amount of aquaphor to "seal" in the moisture. For some reason the aquaphor works really well for me and it doesn't have that Nivea scent which reminds me of goat's milk.

Hi gents

I irritated my neck yesterday while my daughter was "mosquitoing" around me ...:) she likes watching her dad shaving and I'm sweating blood when she plays in my bathroom.... But I love her so much and she enlightens my mornings like no sunrise could do....

So what can I do if not irritating myself ?

That said:

Since I must shave everyday I decided to apply some Nivea cream (the one in the blue tin we all know since centuries) as a pre-shave treatment. I just remembered this morning this piece of advice I was given some 20 years ago by an old colleague of mine. He was from Naples and a true wet shaver.

Well....amazing result so far. I could perform a nice 3 pass shave (1 WTG and 2 XTG) without worsening the situation at all.

The cream penetrated well over my wet face and resisted to an intensive face lathering and the blade was easy to wash afterwards.

Used my Ikon OSS a Gillette Bleue Extra and Tiki Fougere tallow.
AS= Captain's choice Bay Rum

Just my 2 cents of Euro ....

Have a nice..shave

I happened to find an old tin this morning.

BRILLIANT SHAVE. Mango, you have suggested something that has somehow made my baby butt smooth shave MORE baby butt smooth. Spread the good news!

I happened to find an old tin this morning.

BRILLIANT SHAVE. Mango, you have suggested something that has somehow made my baby butt smooth shave MORE baby butt smooth. Spread the good news!

Happy this could help ...could be something to stick somewhere here ?

I don't wish to hammer too much with this thread but I need to confess that I tried again this morning, using this cream for my prep and not just to protect my neck.

I got a very close shave, probably closer than usual through the same number of pass with a very nice post shave feeling.

Just an impression ?

No idea. Just wished to share.

I use Noxzema cream as a pre-shave on those occasions when I have neck irritation. I rub it on and let it sit while I load my brush and lather over the top of it. It works great and really soothes the irritation.

I shave with cold water so I have no need for noxema.

nivea also smells 30 times better and moisturizers the skin very well.

I just started to use Noxzema too as a pre-shave and so far it does a very good job of softening the beard. But I will keep Nivea in mind, to see how well that works for me as a pre-shave cream.

However, I don't think that the American version of Nivea is the same as the European one. I remember a few friends who prefered to get their Nivea cream from Germany. They said the American version just didn't work as well for them.

I also noticed that Smallflower actually points out that their Nivea creme is Authentic German.
http://www.smallflower.com/nivea/nivea-cream-400ml-5226

But I am glad to hear that as far as shaving goes, both work. :)

I just started to use Noxzema too as a pre-shave and so far it does a very good job of softening the beard. But I will keep Nivea in mind, to see how well that works for me as a pre-shave cream.

However, I don't think that the American version of Nivea is the same as the European one. I remember a few friends who prefered to get their Nivea cream from Germany. They said the American version just didn't work as well for them.

I also noticed that Smallflower actually points out that their Nivea creme is Authentic German.
http://www.smallflower.com/nivea/nivea-cream-400ml-5226

But I am glad to hear that as far as shaving goes, both work. :)
My wife is from Germany, and she -- many years ago -- said the "non-German" Nivea cream wasn't as good as the German stuff.

Now, understand that she, being German, thinks that about everything :001_rolle...but she -- and her mother and father (as an after-shave, IIRC) have used Nivea forever, so there is a little expertise there. All that said, she still uses Nivea a little, but it's not her go-to as it once was.

Mine was American. Still had a crazy good shave

Maybe it's not a good moisturizer. I'll pick up a German tin and report back soon.

My wife is from Germany, and she -- many years ago -- said the "non-German" Nivea cream wasn't as good as the German stuff.

Now, understand that she, being German, thinks that about everything :001_rolle...but she -- and her mother and father (as an after-shave, IIRC) have used Nivea forever, so there is a little expertise there. All that said, she still uses Nivea a little, but it's not her go-to as it once was.

....15 USD ..!!!! costs 3 Euro here. Will ship you guys wagons of Nivea :laugh:

Top Bottom