What's new

Review: 3 days of Lockhart's Goon Grease

Hey all,

So I was a water-based pomade man for years. A week ago, I took the advice of the great Marco and placed an order for Lockhart's Goon Grease (classic lemon scent). It is everything I expected and more. Below is a day-by-day analysis of the product followed by a full product review.

Hair-style: Side part pompadour. One on the length on the sides with a fade but tapered in back. Part is razored in.

Day 1: Hair is clean and productless. Applied a health portion of the pomade into my hair and I immediately understand that this hold is going to be very similar to my Suavecito Extra Firme. I comb through and feel the same resistance that I have grown to love. Pomp is perfect and the shine is exactly what I was looking for (nice shine, but not greasy looking.) Washes off hands pretty well with blue Dawn and a bit of scrubbing with my nails. A little time consuming, not awful though.

Day 2: Washed hair once with shampoo and then conditioned. Product still in hair, just a tad lighter. I apply more pomade, just not nearly as much as Day 1. Hair is much more managable and the pomp is again perfect, just in a faster timeframe. Took about 5 minutes to comb this bad boy into shape.

Day 3: I don't think I am ever going to want to fully wash this product out. One wash with shampoo as before, no conditioner this time. Apply a quarter size of pomade to my hair and it combs perfectly. It almost styled itself. Shine is perfect and the hold is superb. Feeling supremely dapper.

Overall: This pomade is better than any water-based pomade I have used before. I did have to adjust to the waxy residue on my hands when I was done massaging it into my hair. Just took a stronger wash of the hands, no big deal. The scent is like a lemony-musk smelling cologne. Smells great. It leaves the hair looking fantastic, with a solid shine but not a painted-with-oil look. Hold is excellent for an oil-based pomade. I've gone all day with no issues. It is completely recombable if you feel so inclined. Unlike Suavecito, it keeps the hair soft so when you recomb the shine stays and doesn't dry or leave your hair looking loose or "fluffy".

Grade: 10/10. This product is a homerun. It comes highly recommended from Marco and it did not disappoint one iota.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Glad to hear you like the Goon Grease, Chris. After about ten oil based pomades tested, this is unquestionably my favourite. Your write-up is spot on and easily explains why. Next on my list to try is O'Douds Heavy.

Great review! Goon Grease is fantastic! If you haven't checked out Iron Society's offering, you certainly should. Another great pomade.

the lockharts line is amazing. i have their light, medium and heavy hold. all three goon grease scents and their fire and brimstone special edition.

the lockharts line is amazing. i have their light, medium and heavy hold. all three goon grease scents and their fire and brimstone special edition.
How do you enjoy the cinnamon sandlewood goon grease? Over time, I found the classic lemon to be a tad to sweet for my taste. Like most colognes, I prefer a clean crisp smell versus a sweet musk.

How do you enjoy the cinnamon sandlewood goon grease? Over time, I found the classic lemon to be a tad to sweet for my taste. Like most colognes, I prefer a clean crisp smell versus a sweet musk.

i like it a lot but i cant remember how strong it is over the day once you apply it. its been awhile since i have used it.

An example of the hold of the grease. I've found that the shine amplifies over the day, but the hold is magnificent for an oil based pomade

Attachments

• $uploadfromtaptalk1416326248586.jpg
    $uploadfromtaptalk1416326248586.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 84
Top Bottom