What's new

What's your barber shop like?

So I'm just waiting for the day at work to end and to pass some time I'm on the B&B site checking things out. I got this idea in my head that it'd be pretty cool to see/hear about the barber shops everyone goes to. I used to go to an old school barber back when I was a kid, but for the last 20+ years have been going to Great Clips or Sports Clips or somewhere similar until I got an itch to go back to a real barber. Must have been that I started shaving with a DE and a brush that triggered the old school thought process. Anyways, like I said it'd just be cool to hear/see about the barbers you go to.

The one I started going to recently is a family owned shop where it's a father-son tandem cutting hair. I walked in and thought, "this is a barber shop". There was some cool stuff on the walls, guys just talking, and what really brought me back was seeing the Krew Comb on the shelf. Pretty good price for a cut and they do straight razor shaves too which I'll have to do one of these days.
Here is their site - http://trslakevillebarbershop.com/

So, what are your barber shops like?

Some traditional elements, but feels almost like a ladies hair salon with masculine decoration. Probably pretty standard these days. They do have an electric barber pole by the door, so that's a plus!

My local guy is a bit younger, 30-35. He sells some wet shaving stuff but admits that he doesn't use them, I tried to talk to him about a few straights he has displayed, but he also admitted they are just for display.

it is definitely styled as a traditional men's barber shop, I just wish that the owner was a little more on that level. BSAguy nailed it, it's a salon with leather chairs and ESPN on the tv...

I used to go to a family owned little place when I was in uni and living on campus, but after I graduated last winter I've been going to this old-school rockabilly place where I can get a nice, classic haircut or something a bit more modern, like a high and tight pomp with a straight razor shaved part. All the barbers are from the US (the barber shop is in Stockholm, Sweden) and are all really laid back.

When I lived in Champaign, IL, last year, I always went to an old barber shop with two guys giving great haircuts, at an incredible pace, for only $15. Great place. Especially since I got to indulge in the American life even more and talk football with the old geezers, and hear the latest news from the barbers. :)

So I'm just waiting for the day at work to end and to pass some time I'm on the B&B site checking things out. I got this idea in my head that it'd be pretty cool to see/hear about the barber shops everyone goes to. I used to go to an old school barber back when I was a kid, but for the last 20+ years have been going to Great Clips or Sports Clips or somewhere similar until I got an itch to go back to a real barber. Must have been that I started shaving with a DE and a brush that triggered the old school thought process. Anyways, like I said it'd just be cool to hear/see about the barbers you go to.

The one I started going to recently is a family owned shop where it's a father-son tandem cutting hair. I walked in and thought, "this is a barber shop". There was some cool stuff on the walls, guys just talking, and what really brought me back was seeing the Krew Comb on the shelf. Pretty good price for a cut and they do straight razor shaves too which I'll have to do one of these days.
Here is their site - http://trslakevillebarbershop.com/

So, what are your barber shops like?
Cool Barber shop. Thanks for starting this thread!

3 or 4 barbers, young guys, relaxed, sports fanatics, nice folks. Good haircuts, nice senior discount for a bargain price here in pricy Santa Monica. I asked, and, yes, they do straight-razor shaves.

picobarbers.com. I just looked them up: 2 new branches!

Located here in Sherwood, in a building built in 1920, original barber retired at age 88, new guy there who is age 34 and old school, love it and look forward to every visit as he does a great job and the round table talk about politics, sports, and nasty ex wives is priceless!!!

Mine is in a strip mall type building. 7 barber chairs. 7 barbers. I have had my hair cut there for 30 years, by one barber. Romeo. He has 2 straight razors that are always ready and Clubman talc on hand. Always great morning chats. Always has the golf channel on. Always satisfied.

Last edited:
I used to go to an old Philly-Italian guy in Center City, went there and nowhere else for a decade. Had a traditional barber pole outside. The old guy stopped doing haircuts and was rarely seen, but his long term assistant always gave a good cut. Then I stopped working in Center City and now have no idea if it's still there.

And now I have little enough hair that I keep short and trimmed with a cheap Wahl :)

Go Stag! http://www.stagbarbershop.com/

Oddly enough I found it while googling Milwaukee wet shaving supplies :)

Very cool place with an old timey vibe and Jess and her team provide quality cuts. I've got an appointment for tonight.

I grew up in Milwaukee a couple minutes from the airport, and my family is still there. My brother was telling me about a place he goes and I wonder if this is it. Said he pays $30 for a cut and that's what price is on the site. Looks cool!

EDIT -- my brother said this is the same place he goes too.

Yup ... reallly a reasonable price given the quality of their work.

I grew tired of spending $15-$18 on a crappy cut at the local strip mall joints. There's no sense in not spending just a little more and being happy with your cut.

Go Stag! http://www.stagbarbershop.com/

Oddly enough I found it while googling Milwaukee wet shaving supplies :)

Very cool place with an old timey vibe and Jess and her team provide quality cuts. I've got an appointment for tonight.

Love Stag barbershop. Have gone there a few times, but they are about a hour from my house, so not too often.

I now shave my head, so am planning on going there for a full straight razor shave, face and head.

A shave and a haircut or on my "to do" list ... but I'm currently in the sabbatical til Christmas, so the shave will have to wait :)

I Haven't been to a barber shop in over a year because I started to cut my own hair to peach fuzz for the longest time. But now that I'm starting to grow it out again I'm thinking about going to one when it gets long enough. There is a local place with an older guy, and a salon called "the Guy's Place" witch looked pretty cool.

Moving to fl and grew my hair out to my shoulders i had my first cut in a ny style shop, run by what appeared to be hispanics, decent cut considering the lenght and i think he charged me 12 gave him 15. Fast forward to my cut the other day i noticed how busy they were 3 chairs going and had to use another barber as mine had a cpl before me. This guy was explained what i wanted and gave me a good cut, charged me their senior rate of $8 and i still gave him $15(not senior yet ) , still cheaper than nh. Lol.
But i did see them do an african american who had it cut across the top and temples, he was straight edge shaving those areas to give them a crisp clean cut. They seems to have a decent flow of ppl , im happy so i lucked out in finding them.

My barber shop in Fort Smith, Arkansas, is a throwback to a 60's style barbershop. The walls are lined with shelves of diecast cars and trucks and other memorabilia. Those waiting on a barber are conversing what ever topic is being discussed, other men stop in to say hello and join in. The barbers are either in the current conservation or bantering between themselves.

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
I love my barbershop. The owner comes in around quarter to 7 in the am, in case there are some customers lurking .. though the official opening is 8 am. Traditional old place, the charge for a retiree during the week is $13. They are all pretty good at old fashioned haircuts, not sure if requesting a mohawk or some-such wouldn't get you invited to leave.

I mentioned once a while back my interest in straight shaving, he went in the back and brought out a strop (new) and an old DublDuck for me to try with. He honed it on an old Swaty too!

Problem is he's 80 next year, the other two aren't ownership material, so someday soon I'll have to find another barber. I have had in 60 odd years only a couple three sets of barbers, the occasional trip to some unknown hack when stuck offshore someplace unexpectedly excepted.

I have the old small-town barber shop - Jack's in Kennedale, TX. Three chairs in a stand-alone cinder block building with an electric barber pole by the door. Jack's daughter Brandy runs the place and cuts hair on Wednesdays. (She always has a wait when she's in.) Marty has been cutting hair for Jack for 20 years and there's a new gal named Leslie they just hired away from the SportClips.

No shaves here. But no shampoos, either. Just haircuts for dudes.

$16 for me, $12 for my 6-year-old boy.

Just found two, that's right TWO awesome shops here in Columbus, Ohio. One is Noble Baron barber shop and the other is Old Familiar Barber shop. Great guys, can cut classic or new twists on classic guys cuts. Atmospheres in NB is modern old fashioned leather chairs but 55" plasma and coffee bar (it's free). Old Familiar is very hipster friendly and the two main guys only take appointments and they're booked like 4 weeks out usually. Great cuts, great guys, guess that's why they're so busy! Oh and they do straight razor shaves at both places with similar styles and pricing of those shaves to AoS stores.

Top Bottom