What's new

Ingrown hairs when using a shavette, no ingrowns when using a DE?

I've recently noticed that my Sunday shave with either my Kai or Feather AC produces the odd ingrown hair, a problem which I never suffer with when using my DE. I guess the bottom line is that I am shaving too close with my straight edge, my question is how to avoid this?

I'm using the most shallowest angle I can with these razors, I never shave when the blade is too dull, (I think) my lather is up to standard...

Any other tips would be great. Many thanks chaps!

I've been lucky and haven't had one since I switched from cartridges. I know when I've tried a shavette I don't get as smooth a shave as I do with a DE but i think it's more my technique than the razor. Wish I could help but it does sound perplexing.

I don't know how you straight shave, but maybe just doing 2 WTG passes with your straight might make the shave a little less close instead of going WTG, XTG, etc. Also keeping the angle of the straight very close to your face might help.

I've been using a DOVO Shavette for several months now. In that entire time, I have only had a handful of ingrown hairs, quite unnoticeable and nonexistent compared to cartridges. The only major mistake that I have ever made was using too much pressure, so I don't see any other answer for you. It's the same blade as your DE, so I would think the only difference could be with technique

I don't know how you straight shave, but maybe just doing 2 WTG passes with your straight might make the shave a little less close instead of going WTG, XTG, etc. Also keeping the angle of the straight very close to your face might help.

Currently I'm shaving WTG then XTG, so I'll try 2 WTG passes, thanks. This should give me practise in improving my "light as a feather" touch with the straights.

Top Bottom