What's new

Shaving Oil - Is it the holy grail?

I have been trying everything I can get my hands on to find that perfect mix for me of straight and DE razors, blade, soap, prep, technique, etc over the years. And I may have found it, but it's not at all what I expected. I've spent the last week shaving exclusively with the Village Barber Shave Oil. No soap, creme, brush or anything else. After a hot shower I wet my face, apply the oil and rub it in for about 30 seconds and then shave. I admit it's weird not having the lather but it's nice being able to see the sideburns and goatee perfectly. Now I've used pre-shave oil for awhile but never a true shave oil exclusively. Anybody else exclusively use a shave oil? I've found that I have almost no irritation whatsoever (with DE or Straight) and my face feels great afterwards. More so than even the most expensive and/or well known soaps and cremes that I own and use. Anyway, this is a new thing for me and I'm pleasantly surprised how well it works. I thought my face would be nasty oily and gross throughout the day doing this but that hasn't been the case at all. Anybody else experienced this same thing?

With a good brush & a good lather it is not needed IMO. I used to flirt with shaving oil but they now sit idle on my shelf. Some swear by them under a lather and others, like me, feel they add nothing. YMMV.

With a good brush & a good lather it is not needed IMO. I used to flirt with shaving oil but they now sit idle on my shelf. Some swear by them under a lather and others, like me, feel they add nothing. YMMV.

+1
A good slick lather does it for me.

I used oils when I used to shave with carts and it was OK, once I started with my disposable straight it wasn't so pleasant, granted I'm a newbie and probably due many things wrong (and blame it on the oil). I tend to like my shaves with lather, but wont oppose to use just the oil again if it provides good shaves.

One thing that deter me from continuing, was that I didn't find any other members that used only oil, and now I have some soaps and creams and brushes and would find it difficult return just to oil, but just because I really enjoy using the gear.

I will give it a go and see how it goes tomorrow...

I like it when I'm on the last shave for a blade. It doesn't necessarily make the shave closer, but it seems to improve comfort for me.

I have not heard of just oil for shaving, either. It is supposed to be a pre shave thing. But, if you had to, something is better than nothing.

I have used bar soap, dries face out.
I have used shampoo, not as slick.
Both tend to cause irritation, unless a good moisturizer is used, after.

captp

Pretty Pink Fairy Princess.
I have not heard of just oil for shaving, either. It is supposed to be a pre shave thing. But, if you had to, something is better than nothing.

I have used bar soap, dries face out.
I have used shampoo, not as slick.
Both tend to cause irritation, unless a good moisturizer is used, after.
He said shave oil, not pre-shave oil. Two different things. Shave oil is meant to be used in place of soap/cream, pre-shave oil is used under the lather to condition the skin.

When I was still shaving with carts, I used almond oil on its own for quite a long time after I lost my brush and couldn't lather the soap anymore. It wasn't as good as with soap on top, but still remarkably better than canned creme. I would definitely do it again with my straight if that were all I had

Last edited:
That's how the ancient Romans did it. Then, in about the first century AD*, barbarians from Gaul introduced soap and the world was plummeted into the dark ages.

A coincidence? I dunno.

*Pliny the Elder's Historia Naturalis

He said shave oil, not pre-shave oil. Two different things. Shave oil is meant to be used in place of soap/cream, pre-shave oil is used under the lather to condition the skin.

Exactly, I was referencing a true shave oil, like Village Barber. I don't know who else makes a true shave oil but would like to try them. I still love a good lather, especially when I can take the proper time to enjoy a good shave with my straight. But my day to day shave is now with only shave Oil and my face feels great. I'm a serious road warrior for work so this makes my kit even simpler.

I use homemade shave oil religiously. I apply it between passes, and find it's definitely my holy grail. My concoction is composed of: olive, almond, jojaba, peppermint and lavender oils, all of which are available at the supermarket.

I've been wet shaving since I was a teenager (now I'm over 40 :thumbdown) and noticed a couple of years ago that my skin changed and become a lot more sensitive. It didn't matter what I did, I suffered irritation. So I tried the oil, and found instant gratification. I've never looked back.

I was referencing a true shave oil, like Village Barber. I don't know who else makes a true shave oil but would like to try them.

Shave Secret. Available at some Wal Mart locations and online from some vendors. I've used it as a pre-shave oil extensively, but it's actually intended to be used on its own. I do use it on its own, in the shower, for... other... areas.

I use homemade shave oil religiously. I apply it between passes, and find it's definitely my holy grail. My concoction is composed of: olive, almond, jojaba, peppermint and lavender oils, all of which are available at the supermarket.

I've been wet shaving since I was a teenager (now I'm over 40 :thumbdown) and noticed a couple of years ago that my skin changed and become a lot more sensitive. It didn't matter what I did, I suffered irritation. So I tried the oil, and found instant gratification. I've never looked back.

Would love to get the details of that recipe PM'd to me if you wouldn't mind sharing. I'd love to try it out. I have also noticed that my skin is becoming less and less sensitive the more I use it.

So I did the just oil this morning, and I'm a bit torn with the results. It was less messy and I loved that I could see where I was shaving, but that became a problem since I did more smaller strokes without re-applying oil. I did get some irritation (maybe because of the extra strokes). I don't know... I will try it again on Monday when I have a full weekend beard.

I do enjoy the lather more thou.

BTW, I would like to try the Homemade racepie as well, if we are in the shearing mode :). I used Nuage Shaving Oil, I bought it in the UK, I think they are more into oils, since they have a few brands even in the supermarkets.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Nuage-Shavi...=1413268081&sr=1-3&keywords=Nuage+Shaving+Oil

Last edited:
Top Bottom