What's new

Two pipe problems

Gentleman, I have two problems I need your help with.

I just got a new pipe off the BST, and I was giving it the salt/alcohol treatment when i spilled alcohol all over the bowl. The nice finish is now matte, it's lost all its gloss. :angry: Stupid stupid stupid! I don't have any wood finishing stuff, or experience. What is the easiest way to get it shiny again?

Almost always, the last part of smoking a bowl, maybe the last 1/3, is skunky. I thought it was my pipe, poorly drilled or something. But I have the same thing with my new pipe. I've tried many different tobaccos, and it doesn't make a difference. I also stick a pipe cleaner in a couple times during the smoke to absorb excess moisture. Drier tobacco doesn't seem to be any different. Is it me?

D

dwLost

Thinking about your problems it seems the tobacco you've been trying just might be wet. 10 -15 % is all the moisture you need. Don't store pipe tobacco with the cigars (70%). Just a thought. As far as the finish goes you might try some furniture polish (put your polish on the rag first and test the finish) Carnauba wax is the way to go but it's not easy to apply with out a slow speed buffer - paste furniture wax probably would be my second choice after the Carnauba to bring back some of the shine. Most pipes are stained with an alcohol base stain so it goes alcohol will dissolve the finish. Trying anything more aggressive could lead to a mega disaster so maybe just cut your losses - a little past wax and squint a little when admiring the beautiful grain and birdseye.

Last edited by a moderator:
Carnauba wax would probably the best if you have a buffing wheel. If not then Halcyon wax is a great alternative. Failing either of these Oil from your nose/forehead is an option.

A filter might be a good idea or drying it out even more is good advice.

Is it mostly English blends? Or does this happen with Virginias as well?

Check your local B&M and see if they can buff the pipe for you, if you have a local B&M. Usually alcohol will only affect a thin layer of the wax finish, a little tripoli compound, a cotton rag and some elbow grease will shine it up just fine. As far as the skunky tobacco, it's you and your environment. Smoking too hot, moisture content of the tobacco, the relative humidity in the air, can all lead to producing too much condensation, which leads to a wet glob of dottle in the bottom that acts like a filter and traps all the nasty gunk that tastes horrible when it starts to burn. I still have it happen on occasion, I just dump it and move on. I find worrying about it takes away from my pipe enjoyment factor, so I don't.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Accept the dottle and toss it! I can rarely get to the bottom of a bowl unless it is a REALLY DRY tobacco.

Check your local B&M and see if they can buff the pipe for you, if you have a local B&M. Usually alcohol will only affect a thin layer of the wax finish, a little tripoli compound, a cotton rag and some elbow grease will shine it up just fine. As far as the skunky tobacco, it's you and your environment. Smoking too hot, moisture content of the tobacco, the relative humidity in the air, can all lead to producing too much condensation, which leads to a wet glob of dottle in the bottom that acts like a filter and traps all the nasty gunk that tastes horrible when it starts to burn. I still have it happen on occasion, I just dump it and move on. I find worrying about it takes away from my pipe enjoyment factor, so I don't.

Accept the dottle and toss it! I can rarely get to the bottom of a bowl unless it is a REALLY DRY tobacco.

+1. There is no rule that you have to smoke every bit of 'baccy you load up. It's like excess lather, realize you are tossing mere pennies away and it was necessary to facilitate the rest of the experience.

Top Bottom