What's new

a question about razors

I went to purchase my first DE (Merkur) and I noticed on some sites have this razor with either a bar or open teeth. I don't know if they've marked them wrong but I wanted to know what the difference (shaving wise) between a bar setup and open teeth?

From my limited experience, open teeth (some call it open comb) razors are more aggressive but possibly better if you have a really thick beard. Otherwise, the bar could be the way to go - especially when you're starting out.

Cheers

Jeremy

I have been D/E Shaving for about a month now. I first purchased the Merkur Vision. BIG mistake, it’s a beautiful razor and feels great in the hand. However I don’t think I am skilled to use it now. I took the advice of follow members of B&B and ordered the Merkur HD. (HD is sometimes called model 34 eg 34C is the chrome version and 34G the gold plated version). All I can say is WOW, I get better by the day. I have taken the advice of everyone on the board and tried different blades, i.e., Merkur, Derbys and Dorcos. So far the best shaves for me with the HD have been Wilkinson Sword Classic (white label).
Good Luck and keep us up to date on your progress.

Some say the open comb razors are more aggressive, others say there's not much difference.

I really don't think there's much difference and my understanding is that the switch from open to closed combs was largely due to the fact that it is easier (and hence cheaper) to produce the closed comb (less machining). Another plus is that the closed comb razors are easier to keep clean.

I think that a closed comb razor is the way to go for a first DE - if you're looking for a Merkur, I suggest the Classic (either regular or long-handle) or the HD.

Some say the open comb razors are more aggressive, others say there's not much difference.

I really don't think there's much difference and my understanding is that the switch from open to closed combs was largely due to the fact that it is easier (and hence cheaper) to produce the closed comb (less machining). Another plus is that the closed comb razors are easier to keep clean.

I think that a closed comb razor is the way to go for a first DE - if you're looking for a Merkur, I suggest the Classic (either regular or long-handle) or the HD.

Totally agree. I don't think open combs are inherently more aggressive but I would stick with a closed comb razor for starting out.

I've also wondered about this. I would think that an open comb would let more lather through to the point where the blade meets the face whereas a closed comb might "scrape" off most of the lather before that point. I'm odd, I know.

No, you're not odd. I had the same questions when I started out.

It's been my personal findings that a closed comb razor leaves more cream on your face. The open one leaves less. I confirmed this with my GEM razors, which I have several of both kind.

And without a doubt, the open comb are more aggressive and give a closer shave with less passes.

Top Bottom