What's new

Blade frequency - one and done.

I've been doing this for about a year and love it! I have found that no matter which blade I use I have to go "one and done" or I get irritation on second shave. Does anyone else have this experience? I read in the forums how some people get a crazy amount of shaves per blade. I do have sensitive skin and a thick beard. I also have to use unscented soaps to avoid breakouts, which is also frustrating. Any experiences are appreciated.

I've been doing this for about a year and love it! I have found that no matter which blade I use I have to go "one and done" or I get irritation on second shave. Does anyone else have this experience? I read in the forums how some people get a crazy amount of shaves per blade. I do have sensitive skin and a thick beard. I also have to use unscented soaps to avoid breakouts, which is also frustrating. Any experiences are appreciated.
Some wetshavers have the very coarse beard and they only can use one blade per shave. My brother goes through cart like theres no tomorrow. My sister uses disposable razors and she has a pile of them in the trash can. She says that she has very coarse leg hair.

I found my second and third shaves with my blades are best - 1st and 4th are OK, and then from 5th on its basically a write-off. This is with Astra SPs, I haven't had enough time to test other blades (they are on the way though!) I don't have a very coarse beard though, so who knows?

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I used to do "one and done" when I first started just because they are so cheap.

I finally discovered that for most blades the second shave is the best for me.

I'm just getting back into injectors, and IIRC, I will get about 2 weeks of shaves per blade (10-12 shaves)...although I recall an occasional dud that had to be replaced after 1-2 shaves -- that's the only time I had "once and done." OTOH, some times I could go 3 weeks.

I used to do "one and done" when I first started just because they are so cheap.

I finally discovered that for most blades the second shave is the best for me.
I also find the second and third shaves to be much better than the first.

On the one and done I also would be throwing away my best 2 shaves. 2 & 3 are the best for me, 4 is OK with some blades.

Second shave is the best for me with most of the dozen or so blades I've tried, with the third being about the same as the first, just in a completely different way. I do not have particularly coarse hair though, as I originally thought when starting out wet shaving, and my skin is only slightly more sensitive than most.

I use a DOVO Shavette, so only one side at once and I have found that I get the best performance using each one for only 2 shaves (no matter the brand), 4 if a had a DE razor

I do 7 and done with all blades I use.
All shaves are bbs. Later ones just take more work and a bit of discomfort during the shave.
But the outcome is always smooth and irritation free. And worth teasing maximum performance from the blade.

Topicstarter; I have a thich and coarse beard I have tried a lot of different blades and the one I like are the Permasharps. I can get 8 shaves from them without any irritation or razorburn. I use Proraso shaving cream and pre shave oil and I always get a full BBS. I shave every 3-4 days without any troubles, even in my FaTip (opencomb) I get 0 nicks and weepers.

If I use an another blade like Derby I will get a full razorburn instead of BBS. Astra SP's are good but not good enough for me. The first shave is ALWAYS rough while the second shave is always smooth for some unknown reason.

You should really get a sample of the PermaSharp. Permasharp FTW!

I have tried many blades and I usually get 2-3 but most often switch at 2 just because there is no point to suffer at the cost of blades. However, when I was using carts I could only push them to 5 shaves no matter which ones I was using and it was painful towards the end. Now that was expensive!

One, with successive shaves progressively worse for me so I toss 'em after the first. I do rinse and relather completely for the second pass, and the third if needed.

Top Bottom