What's new

Help Needed With Cracked Brush Handle.

Hey folks... I found an Ever Ready C40 brush that I thought I restore. But when I got it home and looked at it again. I found a crack (see photo). What I would like to know is if it is possible to repair the crack. It wouldn't have to be restored to mint condition but I'd like to get it better than cracked. Would an epoxy and some light sanding and a paint job work. Any suggestion would be appreciated. I realize it brittle. That's why I'd like some advice from members that have restored and dealt with this before.

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 83
If it was me, I wouldn't bother fixing it. Although it is possible to glue and sand this, the handle is pretty common and for me personally, wouldn't be worth my time. Even after your done, you would still see the crack unless you used colored epoxy. Just my 2 cents.

When you get the knot out of there it may close up pretty well.. You could always tape it up and put a hose clamp on it when you epoxy it. It all comes down to how much you really want to keep the handle. As has been said, it's a pretty common one, so it may not be worth the fuss.

All depends on how much you like the handle. You can absolutely get the knot out (carefully), re-approximate the edges of the crack, epoxy it up on both sides, then do a nice job sanding. It will be very smooth, and you won't feel the crack. But you'll probably see it. Still, I have finished up some handles where the are around the knot cracked like an egg into 5-6 pieces. As long as they reapproximate nicely, the end result really isn't bad.

As Dad mentioned, it is a rather common handle, so it may not be worth the time. But if you reall ylike it ...

Top Bottom