What's new

Fougere recommendation

I have tried MdC and LASS fougeres and learned I really like fougere. With tiki back with its fougere and barrister and mann about to release two fougeres along with many other great artisan soaps in fougere who do you recommend in fougere and why?

Maggard's is pretty great. Clean, green scent at a great price point for the quality of product you end up with.

So I've somehow never tried a fougere soap but I've been really curious about these for a while now. Can anyone describe to me what the "fougere" scent smells like?

So I've somehow never tried a fougere soap but I've been really curious about these for a while now. Can anyone describe to me what the "fougere" scent smells like?
It's French for ferns. Nice green plant smell that some add light notes to but the main scent is green fern. I agree with drdave that Queen Charlotte is pretty nice and their soaps perform great! Get a sample pack from them if you are unsure, I got about 5 shaves out of each sampler and probably could've gotten a few more had I used it sparingly.

I like MdC and B&M Fougere Aromatique, can't say that I prefer one over the other. The MdC was my favorite soap at one time.

The Ginger's Garden Fougere Fern has been recommended to me by a friend who has tried pretty much all fougere scents, and that's the one he recommended. I have used the Fougere Sauvage, and while I enjoyed the scent, I don't have enough personal experience to make a suggestion.

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
+2, MdC fougere is the best, but noses may vary.

Tiki and Maggard's fougere are very "green" scents. They remind me of walking into a florist shop. LASSC Topanga fougere is green, but I think has a hint of bay in it, as his lavender and of course the bay rum do. It works in the lavender but not the fougere - to me, though many say they like the scent better than MdC.

MdC is a sweeter and heavier scent, and to my nose and at least one other, has a hint of rose in it. It's a complex scent to try and break into components.

Valobra fougere is probably the most similar to MdC and the stick smells the same as the puck to me, though others seem to detect some difference. It's also a warmer, sweeter scent like MdC, but lacks the rose/floral note, instead going with a scent that some describe as sweet new-mown hay. That's a pretty good description to my nose, a cool summer twilight after a warm day.

Those are the fougeres I've tried. MdC fougere is the desert island soap.

Cheers, Steve

From a scent standpoint ..+1

Last edited:
MdC regular scent is an awesome soap, with Fern notes along with lavender and whatever. The Fern is fully distinct in the regular, which I actually prefer over their Fougere scented soap.

Not to derail, but is DR Harris Arlington considered fougere? I loved the scent but not the performance. Thinking of picking up some Tiki fougere and wondered how close it might be.

Not to derail, but is DR Harris Arlington considered fougere? I loved the scent but not the performance. Thinking of picking up some Tiki fougere and wondered how close it might be.

Arlington is great, but lot of citrus and spice plus fern.
Others call it 'Fruitloops', altho I like it.

I think of Harris Windsor as a fougere scent, but not Arlington.

Top Bottom