What's new

Someone Please Help ME! Humidor problems

So over the summer I found my dads old humiodr and rehydrated it. At the time there was a few cigars in it that were moldy and stuff so I took them out and saved the rest of them (maybe 25 or so).

After rehydrating the humidor I got a new digital hygrometer and humidifier.

I just came back for a weekend off from college and discovered that the humidifier in it was yellow! :glare:

Consequently, there is mold on a number of the cigars and on the wall of the humidor where the humidifier was (I want to put some pictures up, but I think my dad may have carried it off somewhere and I can't find it at the moment).

I took the humidifier out and pitched it, as well as a few cigars that were clearly moldy. I figure there is definitely something I need to do to clear out the mold in the humidor itself, especially since the mold is on the wall of it but I've got no idea what to do.

Please someone help!

Doesn't sound good, once that mold takes hold it will never be the same again no matter what you do. How many cigars are we talking about.

captp

Pretty Pink Fairy Princess.
Scrape or brush off any visible mold. Wipe interior of humidor a lifght solution of water and isopropol alcohol, letmdry completely then lightly sand the interior with a fine grit sand paper. Clean up all dust from humidor, reseason and use.

I have read that smoking a mild covered cigar will not hurt you. But why would you?

Mold has a way of getting in places that you may never get rid of. If you do get rid of it all it may affect the wood never be a good humidor again.

I'd suggest tossing the cigars (they are just cigars), cleaning the humidor and sterilizing it, and then using it as a keepsake box.

Scrape or brush off any visible mold. Wipe interior of humidor a lifght solution of water and isopropol alcohol, letmdry completely then lightly sand the interior with a fine grit sand paper. Clean up all dust from humidor, reseason and use.

This is what you want to do. It will take care of your problem, and since the humidor was your father's, all the more reason to salvage the humi.

Once back in operation, watch the humidity, depending on the humidifier you had and chemical make up (ie no pg), it may have just been releasing humidity without regulating humidity.

Doesn't sound good, once that mold takes hold it will never be the same again no matter what you do. How many cigars are we talking about.

well it was about 25-30 sticks

I'll give this a shot, thanks so much!

I've smoked plenty of em that had mild mold. I guess it all depends on how badly its covered.
My experience has been a few small spots of mold. Not talking wall to wall carpet here.

Use your own judgement. It would be highly unlikely that something happens to you from smoking a cigar with a little bit of mold on it.

this is the best course of action.

Top Bottom