What's new

My current way of frying an egg

I've gotta try this. Sounds almost like a modified sunny side up. I usually default to over easy because sunny side up fails.

You guys know just how to make someone's mouth water with your cooking suggestions, now I am going to have to make something to eat!

Di

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
I tried that method for a while as too.

YMMV but I don't need a Teflon pan for eggs. A properly heated and oiled stainless pan will allow you to do the one handed flipped over easy egg just as well. I like your way, but since the egg is never flipped it requires low heat and time. I like my yolk runny and don't mind some color on the whites so I went back to over easy.

My question is, does the yolk get hot enough to kill salmonella?
No. By definition, the fact that it is runny means it wasn't cooked long enough or at high enough temp to kill salmonella. I always eat my yolk runny when I fry or poach eggs and I have never been sick from it. I would be willing to bet that every other runny yolk lover has the same experience.

BTW. Because I have been on a high protein diet for the last 2 years, I currently eat 4-6 eggs per day (sometimes more) and my cholesterol actually dropped as I lost weight.

Last edited:
... A properly heated and oiled stainless pan will allow you to do the one handed flipped over easy egg just as well.

Agree completely! The only time I consider non-stick essential is for poaching. Since the eggs are submerged, oil can't be used.

No. By definition, the fact that it is runny means it wasn't cooked long enough or at high enough temp to kill salmonella. I always eat my yolk runny when I fry or poach eggs and I have never been sick from it. I would be willing to bet that every other runny yolk lover has the same experience.

BTW. Because I have been on a high protein diet for the last 2 years, I currently eat 4-6 eggs per day (sometimes more) and my cholesterol actually dropped as I lost weight.

I hope you have your own laying hens! That's a lot of eggs! :w00t:

Agree completely! The only time I consider non-stick essential is for poaching. Since the eggs are submerged, oil can't be used.
Why would you need non stick for poaching? Poaching is cracking an egg into barely simmering water. Water doesn't stick to metal, so.... Never needed non stick to boil water before.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why would you need non stick for poaching? Poaching is cracking an egg into barely simmering water. Water doesn't stick to metal, so.... Never needed non stick to boil water before.

Obviously the water doesn't stick but the egg can, even submerged in water. And since I like my poached eggs quite "loose," non-stick ensures I can get them out of the pan with the runny yolk intact.

Sitting here eating my first basted eggs. It was quite easy and tastes great! They are different than sunny side up and resemble a poached egg only much flatter. Looks like I have another egg cooking method to add to my repertoire.

Last edited by a moderator:
I almost always baste my eggs like this, however after I spray the pan with oil, I add a dollop of butter to the pan and then when the butter has melted, add the eggs. I love the flavor of butter with eggs. If you want the egg yolks slightly more cooked, you can do a quick flip (easy over) and because the the whites are somewhat cooked on the top already from basting them, they flip more easily.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
You lost me at step #1. Nothing cooks an egg better that a carbon steel pan.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
Anyone ever try to season a stainless pan? Must be a scientific reason not to.

I use a gently heated iron skillet for frying eggs. A little butter, a little olive oil and room temperature eggs. Never need to baste or turn

I probably eat 4 or so most every day as well. I haven't seen a drop in cholesterol, but it hasn't gone up either. Mine was never high, so no movement is no problem.

This cooking method is also a good way to melt cheese on a burger if you cook it on cast iron. Just add cheese, toss some water in, cover and steam for a few seconds. It ensures the cheese is evenly melted w/o overcooking the burger. It's a great technique if you make 'smash burger' type burgers, like I usually do. Cooking times are about 1.5 mins, or less, per side. Timing is crucial then.

Top Bottom