What's new

Tips on working with horn?

I got some mostly shaped horn pieces for scales today - but they should still be thinned a bit and have the edges rounded. Do people have tips on working with horn? A file and sandpaper - will that be okay?

Files & sandpaper are great for horn scales. If you get horn hot it will kind of delaminate (don't know what else to call the peeling layers) so be careful with power tools. Belt sanders and the like. I have used a belt sander for thinning and flattening, but very carefully only a few seconds at a time.

Last edited:
a file and sandpaper will work but be prepared to sand a while by hand. horn is a tough material. if you work from the inside of the scales you need to keep it flat outside where you will shape them you can get away with a little here and there. I usually resaw mine on a bandsaw. you may also find yourself outside when you work it too. horn and bone are a stinky material to work.

Horn is a wonderful material to work with. Sands well, polishes well, shapes easily and will take a beautiful shine. It is fairly tough so sanding and polishing takes time, but that makes it resistant to mistakes. The dust is stinky so I usually wear a mask. If it is warped you can straighten it with heat and a clamp. 300 degrees and then clamp till cool. It is very close to being the perfect material to make scales from.

Horn is a wonderful material to work with. Sands well, polishes well, shapes easily and will take a beautiful shine. It is fairly tough so sanding and polishing takes time, but that makes it resistant to mistakes. The dust is stinky so I usually wear a mask. If it is warped you can straighten it with heat and a clamp. 300 degrees and then clamp till cool. It is very close to being the perfect material to make scales from.

+1

Ha! Surely you jest!

one note though. Heat won't cause it to delaminate. It can cause it to move and if you get it hot enough you can shape it any way you like.
drum sanders, belt sanders are the ideal tools to shape and thin it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom