What's new

Trumper lime soap

I love the cream, but I've held off on the soap due the generally bad reputation of post-tallow Tumpers soap. Have they gotten it right yet?

While we're on the subject, how's the TOBS lime soap?

Thanks

Last edited:
Trumpers lime soap is nice. Lathers fine, scent is ok but moderate. I've only used it a few times but enjoyed it.

$image.jpg

I bought a puck earlier this year. Couldn't get it to lather at all. Don't know if I had old stock or if they still haven't fixed the issue. It has definitely stopped me buying any more of their soaps. Creams are good though.

If you have a "bricks-n-mortar" store, you can check the date code.

I have had no issues with my 2 Trumpers soaps (after 2011).

I received a partial puck from a guy who couldn't get it to work and was going to toss it. I had little luck with it, too. It provided a slick but thin lather with a nice scent. I expected way more cushion from my experience with a Rose, Violets, and 2 Coconut pucks. The slickness and scent kept me interested until it's demise, but the price was right!

I don't have the packaging so I don't know what version, but the puck of lime I have is worthless. Small bubbles, no glide, and a bad shave no matter what I try. Disappointing.

I had a puck, but didn't like it much and gave it to my roommate. The lather was slick, but thin and had almost no cushion. He enjoyed it much more than I did. However that was just after I started wet shaving around 2010. It most likely was just me being new.

If you want lime, see Castle Forbes. Its more like a soft soap/croap, but it lathers like crazy and smells like a lime walked up and smacked you in the face.

GFT Limes was my first soap: I got it from the store in St. James's in 2011 and I never had any issues with lathering it once I had had a few tutorials on B&B(!). It has long since been replaced by a puck I got at the same time and now that is almost gone so I just placed an order for a new refill puck, which I am awaiting with some trepidation given some of the comments on here.

That said, if it's not good, then it is only a tenner...

Lathers great, scent is wonderful, but fades quickly, as does their cologne. Their Lime Skin Food is one my go-to aftershaves. YMMV.

I bought a new GFT Rose puck this year and have had great success with it. Thick lather. Fantastic scent. It seemed to take more water than other soaps.

Shaved again today with Trumpers Lime soap bowl.
great lather as before.
loaded badger heavily and with lots of hot water in the bowl.
then vigorous face lathering for a minute or so.
yes, soap was slopping all over, but that's part of the fun.
lather became rich and slick.
still, only moderate lime scent.
actually used straight for first pass, it was effortless.
then the Joris for a careful second pass.
overall, happy and BBS.

$image.jpg

I have just used GFT Eucris, do not like the way it did not lather up. Am i doing something wrong? I wanted to like it, but it is not close to DR Harris or MdC.

I bought a refill last fall. Have been using up some other stuff before trying it. Hopefully it will work well for me.

I have a puck of Almond that was hard to lather. I put it in an Old Spice mug, soak it and then make lather right on top of the puck. This is the only way I got a good lather. This is with a 2 minute soak and about 45 seconds to a minute making lather. I use a wet brush or I have to add a lot of water.
$101_1291.jpg
$101_1292.jpg

Last edited:
I have a puck of Almond that was hard to lather. I put it in an Old Spice mug, soak it and then make lather right on top of the puck. This is the only way I got a good lather. This is with a 2 minute soak and about 45 seconds to a minute making lather. I use a wet brush or I have to add a lot of water.
View attachment 534662
View attachment 534663

My lather does not look anything like this, i will try in the morning, soak my puck which i have put in a wooden bowl bought on amazon, then lather it up with my Manchurian and hope for the best :)

ah, just for fun, i did another lather with the bowl of Trumpers Lime.
Worked like a champ. Total elapsed time, including taking the photos, was 5 min.
Admit, I did have to add a little water about twice in the process.
Still, time would have been about half without having to pause to snap the shutter.
And great lather, good lime scent!

proxy.php

My lather does not look anything like this, i will try in the morning, soak my puck which i have put in a wooden bowl bought on amazon, then lather it up with my Manchurian and hope for the best :)

I don't own any wood bowls, not sure if they can take holding water without being damaged (swelling/splitting). Be careful with that, no need to ruin a good wood bowl.

Horrible soap, in my experience. It does have adequate slickness, and I can get the same kind of lather as seen in Royalpar1's post, above, but said lather is the disappearing kind. These days, all I use it for is the first lather or two after I give my brush the Dawn & vinegar treatment.

Top Bottom