What's new

What was your first.

My first was a Gillette Tech. I no longer have it but I still have my Slim and FB that I bought new for less than $2!

My first razor when I got into the shaving hobby almost 4 years ago was the EJ DE87.

full

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it was a Wilkinson classic. My dad had no input for me (probably just as well as I've recently been told he dry shaves) and I had no idea what I was doing and dismissed my soap stick as wiping it on my brush, then wiping the brush on my face did little more than get me wet.

Such a wealth of info on the net these days. Shame I had to spend a few decades with cartridges (I have deep holes in each cheek from ingrowns) and electrics (irritated at best and often hurt pulling hairs out by the root).

As a born again it was the ubiquitous ej de89.

A bic disposable, 2-blade.

I do not still use it, nor will I ever again. Maybe a single blade if I'm in a bind and it's the only thing available for some reason.

Last edited:
Razor: Merkur Vision 2000. I decided that if I was going to start wet shaving, I was going to get a nice razor. Turns out the head is too big for me and I can't get the hairs under my nose. Ended up giving it to a friend in exchange for some blades. I currently rotate between my R-41, 23C, 39C, and Gillette Old Type I rescued from an antiques show.

Brush: Tweezerman badger. That thing was JUNK! it shed like a mangy dog on chemo. I let my little one play with it while he watches me shave. I have a custom Bob Farvour two band that I love.

Soap: Mama Bear's. Still like her soap, but when I moved from bowl lathering to exclusively face lathering, I got some irritation from Mama Bear's. My favorites are Mike's Natural and Stirling soaps now.

Blade: Started with Derby. Was awful. Current favorites are Gillette Silver Blue and Personna Blue Labs.

Good memories :)

My first was a Ted Baker synthetic brush and a Merkur 33c. I still have both in my shave cabinet. Although I never use the brush but the razor sees some skin every so often.

My first DE was a Merkur 38c. I still have it but have not used it for years. These days I only shave with OCs or straights. It is probably time to find it a new home and let some one else enjoy it.

My first soap was De Vergulde Hand (a Dutch brand); I still use that now and then.
My first brush probably was an Omega, because they were sold at the local "drogist".
My first DE razor was a Gillette G2000; long gone since then, and I don't know when and where I lost it.
My first cartridge razor was a Gillette Trac II, and I have used that for years. Still use it as my travel razor.
My first aftershave? Not sure, but it might have been Blue Stratos or Amando.

A black handled Slim in he early '70s. I hated it then and I have hated every other one I have tried over time. I don't know why, but the Slim and I do not get along.

My first DE shave was with my brother's Merkur 47C, with a Merkur blade and Williams soap. He had just gotten into DE/wet shaving and was trying to convert me. He succeeded. I've since converted him to Astra blades. Just sent him a 100 pack for his birthday, along with a tub of Proraso.

First razor I purchased was a DE89, and soon purchased Astra SP blades based on recommendations from this site. The DE89 has since been relegated to the travel kit, but I travel alot so it does still get used.

Last edited:
The first... I don't remember so long ago, but after my rebooting 20+ years later was a Gillette Slim and a Mühle R89.

My first DE razor was a Gillette flare tip. That one razor open a door to better shaves and better overall grooming. I could never shave with a multi cartridge again.

Mine was a late 40s Aristocrat that belonged to my grandfather; really nice specimen with all the gold plating still intact. Yes, I still take it out and use it from time to time :thumbup:

My first real DE was an EJ DE89 with the Barley handle. I loved it when I started, but haven't touched it since trying a NEW. I won't get rid of it, since it was a present from my fiancé.

Top Bottom