What's new

What was your first.

Wet shaving implement. DE SE STR8?

Do you still have it and shave with it.

Mine was a DE Canadian Fat Handle TECH.
I still have it and judge all other razors against it.

started with de last dec. my first razor were merkur 23c & 15c. now am str8 shaver. i don't use de razors anymore, pif'd most of them. but kept my ej de89, fatboy and the ikon slant stainless steel.

OK, the thread title caught me!

My first wet shaving implement was the first razor I used back in the early 70's, my dad's Super Speed. Oh how I wish that was still around!

A Merkur 180 was the first DE razor I ever bought (or used), just 4 months ago. I'm military (deployed) and looking forward to PIFing that razor, a Vulfix super badger, and some B&M Seville to my 13 (almost 14) year old son when I get home in a couple months. The nice thing about a "PIF" in your house is that you can still use the stuff you gave away...the B&M will be "shared" haha! I've since "graduated" to a Muhle R41 G, and rotate in a great PIF I received from hotreds, a 1964 Slim.

Last edited:
Straight EDGE, 31 years ago. I didn't know about angles, and less about stropping. It worked, but not for long. I don't have it. It rusted fast, and it wasn't user friendly, when inexperienced. Then it was electric and cartridges for a long while.

Mine was an aluminum handle tech I picked up at a flea market for one dollar. I still have it and use it as my travel razor. It's a little too light for everyday use, and I've found I prefer OCs. I may just have to bust it out again sometime soon, just for old times' sake.

Weishi DE, Derby blade, cheap bristle brush and TOBs lemon and lime cream. I PIF'd it to a newbie once I discovered vintage Gillettes. The Weishi was surprisingly heavy and very forgiving.

Jim

The Gillette Rubie (which basically is a tech clone), served as a nice introduction to wet shaving.
I used it today and am happy to say it hasn't lost its touch.

mswofford

Rest in Peace
Gillette Tech, nickel in U.S Army basic training at Fort Leonard Wood, Missouri in 1960. Long gone but now have an English Gillette Tech Fat Handle and use Feather blades in it.

The Gillette Rubie (which basically is a tech clone), served as a nice introduction to wet shaving.
I used it today and am happy to say it hasn't lost its touch.

That's actually an alright razor but the handle felt a little cheap but still it done the job pretty good. I PIFed mine to my dad along with 5 Voskhods in a box, a cheap bristle brush and I loaned him my tub of Proraso White.

My first was a Merkur Bakelite 45c. I don't really like it but it's a nice change when I use it and it's my travel razor since I find the idea of a small, light & cheap 3 piece razor that if it gets broken or lost my heart won't shatter into a million pieces.

Mine was a 58 DE Gillette Super Speed that belonged to my Grandfather. Keeping it in the family. That sounds dirty in this thread for some reason.

I remember very specifically ... I was about to place my first order from SRD, when I lucked into winning a BRW Amboyna Burl razor on eBay that same afternoon. I actually had no idea what it was when I bought it, but I was excited because I liked the appearance. Plus, the auction included a GP Scuttle. So I altered my order and just bought a brush (a cheap Thater fine badger 4419), a Mahogany bowl of DR Harris Marlborough, Musgo Real balm, and one pack of Feathers and one pack of Bolzanos. I honesty had no idea what I was buying - but in retrospect ... man, what a starter set! I have since tried so many razors, soaps, splashes, and balms. But many of those original items stayed in my den.

BRW Razor: Still have it, and it's my favorite razor. I have acquired and subsequently traded/sold probably 20-25 razors over the last three years, both SE, DE, and straights. The only razors I bought and won't get rid of? My BRW, A Muhle Rosegold handle, and my Dubl Duck Dwarf.

Scuttle: Still have it, though I really only use it as a brush scuttle these days.

Thater 4419: Sold it. Don't miss it.

DR Harris Marlborough: Still have it (I bought thisthing 3 years ago, so you can tell how many other soaps I have tried in that time), and it probably has about 10 shaves left in it.

Musgo Balm: Used it up, and continue to stock it. Every Christmas, I only ask for two things: a bottle of Lagavulin 16, and a bottle of Musgo Real balm. I finish them each right as the next Christmas rolls around.

I obviously went through those blades, but I don't use either brand anymore.

Fun thread. I'm going to go back and use all of the items I still have tomorrow. I'll even find a Bolzano in the random blade pile for the occasion.

Top Bottom