What's new

Kahr CW9 or S&W M&P9 Shield

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
" But what aided me in narrowing down my choice, and what eliminated the Kahr for me, was the fact that it has polymer guide rails"

The Kahr has metal inserts fore and aft just like a Glock and most other ( if not all) polymer framed guns have.

Last edited:
I will second the idea of a shotgun for home defense.

You mentioned that your budget changed but a used pump shotgun can be very affordable and I agree it is a better home defense weapon in many scenarios. It obviously doesn't fill the CCW need, but I got the impression you wanted to cover both. May as well cover one if you can.

I know its not on your list, but the Ruger SR9 compact is a good little shooter, and can be had for around the same price as the shield. even better its CA legal as long as you don't use anything but the 10rd mag. plus, I know many think its a draw back, but for carrying locked and loaded, the LTI is a good feature to have, especially in a high stress situation.

Shield is my EDC, so call me a little bias.
Lots of good opinions on here already, but I thought I might ad a few more. The manual thumb safety, while unnecessary, I keep on unless I'm on target. I train to sweep it off, and that's the key. Train, train, train...I'm sure the military taught you the importance of that, but I thought I'd re-state it anyway.
Also to note, I've heard many people say that their Kahr was very picky about ammo. For SD, I would be wary to trust something that didn't eat anything I could feed it. My shield has done just that. Any factory ammo, and any reloads I've made from Low-recoil rounds to HOT loads have fed and ejected without a hiccup.
The Shield and M&P line in general also uses a "Combat style" POA, so it can take getting used to if you are used to a standard sight picture.

Just a few considerations, good luck with your hunt!!

I know this is an old thread, but I just wanted to update it. We chose the S&W M&P Shield 9mm, picked it up today. We'll take it out to the range on Saturday. We're also planning on introducing our kids to .22 rifle shooting.

Thanks. They have been asking for a while and this is the first weekend we have had free. We were going to bring them and just have them shoot the. 22s, but this way they can get an idea of what the 9mm can do and start to build that firearm respect.

The Shield is one that I gave a good, hard look at when I was looking for a carry gun a few weeks back. Liked it a lot, but ended up going with a Sig P938 instead. The Shield is still on the list though, as a potential carry gun for my wife.

Kudos for getting the kids involved also. It teaches them firearms safety as well as showing them what real guns do when pointed at something and fired. My guns have never been hidden away where they became some curious object that the kids weren't allowed to see or touch. I have always felt it better to keep them in plain sight, but secured. If they wanted to check one of them out, sure, I'll get it out, verify it is safe, show them how to check it, and let them handle it, unloaded. My son (16) shoots with me at the range now, and is very safe and reasonably proficient with my 1911, baby Sig, 10/22 and AR-15.

The shield is a good choice. I carry a shield in 9mm in rotation with a ruger lcr in 38 special and a smith Wesson body guard in 380 . I like them all , all fit in with different clothing options , the bodyguard is so small there is no excuse not to carry it, but a little hard to shoot well at a distance.

Top Bottom