What's new

dovo news

Jared at the superior shave just posted on Facebook that dovo is scaling way back on new razor production.

That just doesn't make sense. The demand for razors is higher than it has been in many years. Most of the Dovo dealers are out of stock on most of the blades they sell. To cut back at this point will mean repossessing old razors. LOL

There was an article written a few years back that had said that Dovo had recently (as of then...) ramped up production several times what they had previously been producing.

I believe that is why their QC is pretty much crap in my opinion and experience (three warped, brand new, blades from them in a row...).

Maybe scaling back may herald a return to better quality.

Or maybe not.

His Facebook post says (theorizes?) that the problem is having enough skilled craftspeople (razor grinders) to keep up with the production. I don't know if he knows this is the problem or if it is conjecture. He does state that there will be no further extra hollow ground razors, so it seems to make sense.

He has asked on his FB page to relay to this thread that Dovo is not cutting back overall production. It is discontinuing certain models. Quote from Jarod's FB post "Discontinuing the vast majority of models does NOT mean scaling back annual production....they DO intend to maximize what they can make, but saying and doing that are two different things." I'm still not sure exactly what that means.

The problem is this:

Dovo has been undercut by the gulag workforce in Ningbo China that churns out thousands of razor that perform every bit as well as the Dovos and only cost $3 each.

It's just what the guys over at SRP feared lo those many moons ago when they tried to force an embargo/boycott of GDs. But certain intrepid souls ran the blockade, spread the word, and now the word is out on the street and the Rebellion is in full swing!

Attachments

• $GD revolution.jpg
    $GD revolution.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 420
Last edited:
Apparently I misread his first post. Correction from Jared:
"Discontinuing the vast majority of models does NOT mean scaling back annual production....they DO intend to maximize what they can make, but saying and doing that are two different things. People grow old and retire, less new blood coming in to grind a lifetime,...their output, whatever it remains, is limited by their labor force's capacity, and more money waived in the air cannot acquire more labor force. So, in dire straights, these are some of the decisions made in pursuit of those intentions; 1) only 9 models will remain in production, less variations means more net production per yr 2) no more stainless models 3) only one half-hollow ground model, #101581, remains 4) no more extra hollow models; Prima Klang and Mammut are goners 5) round point models only remain, no more square or Spanish points (goodbye "Bergischer Lowe"!) 6) no writing on the 'non-show' side of the razors (they were already doing this)."

Would they be interested in hiring a guy to dremel up some crazy one-off models that they could sell at extreme mark-up?

I happen to know a guy.....:001_rolle

Buying and attempting to use a GD as they come for a complete newbie would probably turn them off on a straight, if anything. They are like a good razor hiding within a bad razor. Dovo/Merkur's qc has been wretched for awhile now. The tooling they are using for their DE stuff is very tired methinks. The fit and finish is in the toilet. The last dovo straight I dealt with was warped as well.

[video=dailymotion;x1z3jz2]http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1z3jz2_sylvester-the-cat-ep-55-heir-conditioned_fun[/video]

GD aren't my thing, but I don't hate them for some illogical reason like some do. I do admire the DIY spirit guys have to make them into something nice. Dovo's problem has nothing to do with GDs though, I think it is the same as the Merkur arm of their business, wetshaving is more popular than it has been in years and new ppl have moved in to fill the product vacuum and have brought better built stuff than they tend to do along with them.

The problem is this:

Dovo has been undercut by the gulag workforce in Ningbo China that churns out thousands of razor that perform every bit as well as the Dovos and only cost $3 each.

It's just what the guys over at SRP feared lo those many moons ago when they tried to force an embargo/boycott of GDs. But certain intrepid souls ran the blockade, spread the word, and now the word is out on the street and the Rebellion is in full swing!

No way am I buying or shaving with a ChiCom razor!

Simple - It's easier/faster/cheaper to make 400 of one type of razor than it is to make 40 each of 10 different razors.

Top Bottom