What's new

Thinking of trying a straight, need a little advice please

Hi guys,
I have firmly got the DE bug since joining B&B and love the vintage stuff, but I keep peeking over this side of the fence and really want to give a straight a try.
From what I have read so far the most important thing is to get a shave ready one from a trusted member/vendor. I just need some more info on where to start really, don't want to go too mad as I might not get on with it.
I like the idea of a vintage straight if budget allows and a basic strop, maybe $100 or thereabouts.

I am in the UK if that makes any difference to your suggestions of who and where to try

Thanks in advance for any advice

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
Hi guys,
I have firmly got the DE bug since joining B&B and love the vintage stuff, but I keep peeking over this side of the fence and really want to give a straight a try.
From what I have read so far the most important thing is to get a shave ready one from a trusted member/vendor. I just need some more info on where to start really, don't want to go too mad as I might not get on with it.
I like the idea of a vintage straight if budget allows and a basic strop, maybe $100 or thereabouts.

I am in the UK if that makes any difference to your suggestions of who and where to try

Thanks in advance for any advice
You've already hit the nail on the head with how to start out. You could also post a WTB in the BST for a shave ready straight and "gently loved" strop, noting that you're in the UK.

Thanks for the info, I was thinking of posting a WTB and seeing what gets offered, seems the way to go then.

Good job learning the importance of shave-readiness. Many people don't do that.

Here's my opinion on what to get and why:

Start off with an inexpensive razor that shaves well. This lets you learn the basic technique and, importantly, what you want to try next (if you enjoy the process). Different sizes, grinds, and weights greatly affect how razors feel to use. Try a few styles without spending much money, then buy something in better condition in a style you like. Razors made in Solingen or Sheffield are fairly easy to find, and are usually well made.

Many people destroy their first strop while learning the stropping technique. I did. So, use a very inexpensive leather strop (or belt, as recommended above) during the learning process. Stropping is very important, so take the time to learn it well.

Keep asking questions. Straight razors come with a significant learning curve (the first dozen or so shaves can be tough), but the advice on here can make the process much easier.

Good job learning the importance of shave-readiness. Many people don't do that.

Here's my opinion on what to get and why:

Start off with an inexpensive razor that shaves well. This lets you learn the basic technique and, importantly, what you want to try next (if you enjoy the process). Different sizes, grinds, and weights greatly affect how razors feel to use. Try a few styles without spending much money, then buy something in better condition in a style you like. Razors made in Solingen or Sheffield are fairly easy to find, and are usually well made.

Many people destroy their first strop while learning the stropping technique. I did. So, use a very inexpensive leather strop (or belt, as recommended above) during the learning process. Stropping is very important, so take the time to learn it well.

Keep asking questions. Straight razors come with a significant learning curve (the first dozen or so shaves can be tough), but the advice on here can make the process much easier.

Thanks for the useful info, I sharpen and strop my kitchen knives(to a pretty good level) so have the basics down ok but I guess a straight is a different animal to a kitchen knife and has a new learning curve with honing, finer finishes etc. Then there is actually shaving with one, that I can imagine takes practice, practice and more practice.
I will start off cheap and shave ready as you say an go from there, thanks again.

I started off with a Gold Dollar straight from buca, and for the price I don't think that can be beat. http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/425923-New-shave-readies-strops

The strop he has is good for starting out, but if you decide to stick with it you're going to want to invest in something nicer later on. But it's better to start with his and if you mess up and ruin it it's not as big of a deal as if it was a Kanoyama.

I'd suggest you get a gold dollar straight and see if it's really something you enjoy, and want to heavily invest into since that's really easy to do with straights. In my experience I enjoy shaving with a straight but have found that I'm attracted to using my DE more usually for simplicities sake. Which I don't really regret spending a few bills on the straights that I acquired during my first initial "straight fever", I do however feel a bit guilty since they don't see more face time.

Posting WTB is risky because you have no idea how the edge will arrive. If you by from a recommended vendor you know what you are getting.

Thanks again for the replies, after listening to the advice I think getting one from a trusted vendor/member is the way to go for a complete noob like myself, will report back when I pick something up.

Thanks again for the replies, after listening to the advice I think getting one from a trusted vendor/member is the way to go for a complete noob like myself, will report back when I pick something up.

Good for you. That's what I did, and I'll never regret picking up my super cool L. West Warranted Carbon Steel 9/16" Half-Hollow Ground, Round Point straight razor (only $56 shipped!) from a trusted member on B&B, who has since become a valuable resource for advice and answering my many questions. I just put it to a stone for a refresh for the first time this weekend!

attachment.php

I have bought a few razors from the finest gentlemen here and they have provided help and encouragement along the way. Much more than a simple sale.

I would like to think I have made a few friends already on B&B, genuinely great group of people:001_smile

I would also suggest stropping with a newspaper if the budget is thigh, here is a video of it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGVNbMvvOJI

Also, if you really what to go the inexpensive way, a disposable straight may be an option, a Sedef is very cheap and you can even use your favorite blade from you DE set. Although not exactly like a full steel straight (or so many say), most of the knowledge from it can be transferred, specially if you just want to have a go at it and to see if you like it.

Just my two pence on the cheap route :)

Good for you. That's what I did, and I'll never regret picking up my super cool L. West Warranted Carbon Steel 9/16" Half-Hollow Ground, Round Point straight razor (only $56 shipped!) from a trusted member on B&B, who has since become a valuable resource for advice and answering my many questions. I just put it to a stone for a refresh for the first time this weekend!

attachment.php
NICE Looker! And great deal! Plus as you say the advice you get is priceless!

NICE Looker! And great deal! Plus as you say the advice you get is priceless!

Thank you. It is in excellent original condition for a vintage straight, and the member from whom I received it is a splendid gentleman with a wealth of essential and specific knowledge which he is happy to share. I'm very pleased!

I would also suggest stropping with a newspaper if the budget is thigh, here is a video of it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGVNbMvvOJI

Also, if you really what to go the inexpensive way, a disposable straight may be an option, a Sedef is very cheap and you can even use your favorite blade from you DE set. Although not exactly like a full steel straight (or so many say), most of the knowledge from it can be transferred, specially if you just want to have a go at it and to see if you like it.

Just my two pence on the cheap route :)

+1 on the newspaper strop - brilliant
-1 on the disposable - more DE than straight

I purchased my first few straights from Larry @ whippeddog.com. I highly recommend getting one of his sight unseen razors. I'm sure someone else online will agree with me. Larry's probably responsible for more straight razor shavers than anyone!

I purchased my first few straights from Larry @ whippeddog.com. I highly recommend getting one of his sight unseen razors. I'm sure someone else online will agree with me. Larry's probably responsible for more straight razor shavers than anyone!
I had a look at the Whipped Dog sight unseen ones(well you can't see them but you know what I mean:001_smile), seems a great way to get a proper shave ready straight for a good price, think that will be the way I go when I take the plunge shortly.

Top Bottom