What's new

Fire Hose Linen

Scored a 45' length of 3" wide hose, cut it down, cleaned it up.
I'm a fan. Seems to enhance edge sharpness. Love the feel.
This is a heavy dense weave hose; that colored stripe has no effect on anything but I'll probably use the other side most often.

proxy.php

I'm going to send a few pieces out for people to play with at the end of the month.
First I want to make sure there are no hidden suprises. That piece above is in the wash now. Prob need another soaking after that too.
It's dirty stuff, inside and out.

Good find then. I'll be curious to learn how it turns out given the relative coarseness of the weave. Maybe a strong alkali would help to soften it?

I've used it already, works wonderfully. Not unlike the Kanayama canvas, but it feels more intense in the hand because it's two sided.

Them firemen, they's purty rough on their hoses. Always laying 'em in the mud and wet ashes at the scene of the fire.
don't they know the hoses can be used again? They gotta start caring for their hose a bit better
We should start an educational program.

I just asked my fire fighter colleague if they ever retire old hose to let me know :)

that is a good snag, firehose makes a good fabric strop. I been using the hemp fabric lately and it seems to be a keeper. I made two strops from it so far. after a boil in water and a boil in bleach water I think the bleach helped on the second one, it came out a lot softer. I used the forge for heat and did it outside. about 5 minutes in superhot bleach water and it was worth the wait to dry out.

You'd almost believe they think putting out fires and saving lives is more important than keeping future strop material pristine for us. Wait a minute, maybe it is..... never mind....

that is a good snag, firehose makes a good fabric strop. I been using the hemp fabric lately and it seems to be a keeper. I made two strops from it so far. after a boil in water and a boil in bleach water I think the bleach helped on the second one, it came out a lot softer. I used the forge for heat and did it outside. about 5 minutes in superhot bleach water and it was worth the wait to dry out.

bleach, ok, that will be next try
meanwhile, the 2" standard weave stuff seems to be working fine for now, much "smoother" than the 2.5" twill weave was before boiling

Nice find! Unlined I am betting that is an old old hose! I bet the washing is the devil! You may be up against a hundred years worth of accumulated dirt!

I'm in the coast guard, and out hoses have an inner hose that is bonded to the rubber, plus an outer hose that is super snug, but if you cut a section just a few feet long you can separate them, and that looks a lot like what the op has acquired to me. The coast guard uses the old house as chafing gear to protect tow lines though...

Last edited:
Top Bottom