What's new

Are AE shoes worth the premium ?

I am sure this has been asked before, but I have not seen it. Are these shoes worth the +price they command over most, other brands?

Thanks for the reply. Ron I

I am sure this has been asked before, but I have not seen it. Are these shoes worth the +price they command over most, other brands?

Thanks for the reply. Ron I
For me, the answer is yes because I have narrow feet, and AE is one of only a few brands that offer shoes that fit me. The company has always provided exceptional customer service when dealing with them directly. They re-crafted my first pair of AE that I purchased fifteen years ago.

That said, I have not tried Alden shoes, which appear to be a good alternative to AE.

Yes.

I have only owned one pair. I had to sell them because they were the wrong size.

The quality, of both the leather and the workmanship, was significantly better than cheap shoes.

When I sold them, I replaced them with some inexpensive shoes... and immediately returned the inexpensive shoes. Once you get accustomed to AE quality, inexpensive shoes feel very chintzy and cheap, both the workmanship and the leather. Even the heft of the cheap shoes seems insubstantial and disposable.

Not to mention that I believe it is good to support American labor, and I prefer to buy well made things and keep them for a very long time. Buying from AE, which has recrafting (for a fee) of their American Made shoes, supports this philosophy.

A pair of AE shoes could conceivably last you the rest of your life.

I may be biased, living just a few miles from the factory, but I think they are well worth the money, although I have never purchased any other high end shoes, so I can't compare. As was stated, the customer service is excellent, and I have several pairs that I have had for going on 20 years that I had recrafted a year or two that came back looking like new, but still have that great feel of a pair of shoes you've been wearing for years. I did have an issue with a sole separating at the toe one time on a pair of saddle shoes that I had owned for about a year and they re-soled them no questions asked at no charge.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Good question.

Oddly, most of the "shoe fanatics" I know would consider AE shoes the "bottom end" of "good shoes", so not something that particularly commands a premium. But we're talking about comparisons to Alden, Alfred Sargent, Crockett & Jones, Trickers, and on up the ladder of high-end English (& Italian) shoes.

In that world, AE are the "value" pick ... the Toyota Corolla in among the Lexuses ("Lexi"?), Audis and Mercedes Benzes. As with anything else, as you move up the quality/expense ladder, you get diminishing returns: there's a heck of a lot more difference between $100 shoes and $200 shoes than between $800 shoes and $900 shoes.

They were at one time but they have went to hell since their purchase in 2006. Go with Alden. They are the last great shoe company in the USA. Family owned & small.

They were at one time but they have went to hell since their purchase in 2006. Go with Alden. They are the last great shoe company in the USA. Family owned & small.

Alden shoes are several hundred dollars more expensive than Allen Edmonds and can hardly ever be found on sale. Allen Edmonds are frequently on sale, and you can get a good pair of seconds for $200. They're not quite in the same category. Doubly so because Alden generally makes very traditional designs, while AE has some more modern takes on the classics as well as some more edgy stuff.

Fair warning, Grayson does seem to drop into any thread and complain that AE has been going downhill since 2006. The company has been through many changes since being sold from the traditional owners, but if you read the general consensus, the quality nadir seems to be between 2005-2009 or so. The original owners were running a sinking ship. It might not be the brand it was 20-30 years ago, but it's been a solid choice for years now.

For the OP, Allen Edmonds are, as Doc4 aptly put, the "Toyota Corolla" of "quality" shoes. They're goodyear welted, recraftable, and their flagship lines are made from quality calfskins. Their quality control has been a bit off, but you can't currently do better for the price. If you can afford to drop $500-1000 on a single pair of shoes, then yeah, you can do a lot better than AE. However, if you're just getting started or are of more limited means, then Allen Edmonds is a perfectly respectable brand to begin with.

Just avoid the "AE by Alan Edmonds" brand. That's their budget line that offers lesser quality stuff. It's more on the lines with Cole Haan or Aldo. Not really bad, but not built for longevity.

Last edited:
+1 for this. Very well stated and a concise analysis.

Alden shoes are several hundred dollars more expensive than Allen Edmonds and can hardly ever be found on sale. Allen Edmonds are frequently on sale, and you can get a good pair of seconds for $200. They're not quite in the same category. Doubly so because Alden generally makes very traditional designs, while AE has some more modern takes on the classics as well as some more edgy stuff.

Fair warning, Grayson does seem to drop into any thread and complain that AE has been going downhill since 2006. The company has been through many changes since being sold from the traditional owners, but if you read the general consensus, the quality nadir seems to be between 2005-2009 or so. The original owners were running a sinking ship. It might not be the brand it was 20-30 years ago, but it's been a solid choice for years now.

For the OP, Allen Edmonds are, as Doc4 aptly put, the "Toyota Corolla" of "quality" shoes. They're goodyear welted, recraftable, and their flagship lines are made from quality calfskins. Their quality control has been a bit off, but you can't currently do better for the price. If you can afford to drop $500-1000 on a single pair of shoes, then yeah, you can do a lot better than AE. However, if you're just getting started or are of more limited means, then Allen Edmonds is a perfectly respectable brand to begin with.

Just avoid the "AE by Alan Edmonds" brand. That's their budget line that offers lesser quality stuff. It's more on the lines with Cole Haan or Aldo. Not really bad, but not built for longevity.

I agree with logistics, Grayson and Doc4...I bought a pair of Alden Longwings that I like to wear with jeans. Those are my only pair of AE's since discovering Crockett & Jones, Carmina, Alden and Edward Green. I normally buy one pair of really nice quality shoes in the fall/winter and another for spring/summer.

Last edited:
It really depends if you like hand made shoes and are willing to pay a premium to own them. I have 3 pairs of AE including one pair in shell and like that they make wide fittings and the shoes can be recrafted. The quality is high maybe not quite up to Alden or Churches but they are also considerably less expensive and easier to buy. In terms of comfort, they are not much different from my Dr. Martens that cost 1/4 the price so if this were the only consideration, the extra cost would not be justified.

I few points I'd like to enumerate for brevity.

1. AE shoes are good and they're considerably better and will last much longer than a similarly styled $80-160 shoe.
2. As previously mentioned Alden shoes/boots are considerably better. This is not qualitative, but quantitative. The leather quality of most Alden shoes is superior to that of AE. It feels more stout, molds to the foot better, wears better, generates more flattering creases, etc. The heels are better fastened, they have steel shanks for additional support and structure, the stitching looks/feels better and more robust, they have better options for soles and from inside of 10 feet, they look better in person. It also bears mentioning, they feel much nicer in hand, and they feel of higher quality. It's like the difference between a Husky hammer (which is a fine, well made hammer) and a Vaughan hammer which in exactly 2 seconds you can feel is a much higher quality option. This is something you really can't experience without holding them in hand.
3. If you know where to look, you can almost always find Alden's on sale. Call Alden SF, or the Alden shop in NY, etc. I've never been to either without seeing at least three styles of Alden's on sale. At least 1/2 of my Alden's were purchased on sale - some of which hundreds of dollars off of their normal price. It must be said, finding AE's on sale is easy - and AE's on sale, will ALWAYS be less expensive than Alden's - but that doesn't change the fact that Alden's can readily be found on sale, and within range of normal priced AE's... and they blow AE's out of the water.
4. Alden's have a unique way of growing on you. I bought my first pair solely on the recommendation of forum members here. I wasn't THAT impressed by the old school style, especially coming from Crockett & Jones shoes. After a week, I was totally hooked. The classic style quickly grew on me and the comfort and foot feel were unparalleled. It's been 6+ years, and I haven't bought another pair of Crockett & Jones'.

I have used AE & Alden since the late 60s. Up until they were sold, the shoes were sold, they were the same. All the upscale Mens stores in Charlotte with the exception of one stopped selling them because of quality issues after they were sold. I have purchased three pair since they were sold & I can tell you first hand that they are not even close in quality to my older ones. If you guys want to buy them, that's fine with me but don't think you are getting a quality shoe. I liked AE better than Alden because iam not a fan of Alden's steel shank. I just hate to see a great shoe company go down hill as they have.

What quality issues exactly? In what ways does the quality of the new AE shoes differ from the quality of the older AE shoes? Please be more specific.

Joel explained it very well. They are not using the quality material they used. They still look good but they won't last 30 years like the old ones I have. Are they worth the price now, yes but don't expect to get a lot of years use. My old ones are my favorite shoes. I just don't want someone who know nothing & is requesting advice to not know the complete story. Then he can choose what he wishes to do.

I have 2 dozen that I have acquired since the 60s & I may add that the same issues happen to Cole haan & florsheim when they were sold. Florsheim was the best of the lot in there salad days . This same issue has happen to suits, shirts & other top tier clothes.

I don't know much about shoes. I bought a pair of AE shoes based on good reviews on B&B and advice of some friends. I have big, wide feet and was able to easily find a comfortable pair of AE shoes. I like the cork insole as it makes the shoe more comfortable as it breaks in. AEs are at the very top end of what I can spend on a pair of shoes. The fact that they can be re-soled and can also be found on sale now and again makes this shoe a good choice for me.

They just won't last you for years.
Forgive me for continuing to ask questions, but I'm interested as an owner of AE two pairs of shoes made before 2006...and one AE pair made last month.

What is it about the lower quality materials (in your view) that would cause the post 2006 shoes to not last as long? The quality of the leather in the uppers? How would this affect longevity of the shoe?

The soles are wear-and-tear items and can always be replaced, so I don't see that being a problem.

Last edited:
You are OK. They just won't last you for years. Personally I would rather pay a little more & have something that will last forever with correct care.

Allen Edmonds certainly will last you for years. They just might not last decades.

If you're just entering into the world of quality dress shoes, it's much easier to pick up 3-4 pair of AEs seconds for $600-900 that you can rotate and keep going for years while you take your time and save up for Aldens or something else, and get a feel for what you really want from the shoes. The alternative is jumping into the "deep end" and buying 1-2 pairs of Aldens or similar. If you're rich and have already found your own personal style that you're going for, then that's a good idea. But if you're starting out, going all in on your first couple pairs of shoes might be a bad idea.

Top Bottom