What's new

Are AE shoes worth the premium ?

Oddly, most of the "shoe fanatics" I know would consider AE shoes the "bottom end" of "good shoes", so not something that particularly commands a premium.

This is my first thought when I saw the title. "AE premium?" I'm not even remotely a shoe fanatic either. I actually have some AE loafers myself, generally becuase they weren't overly expensive.

I'd love to have a really nice pair of shoes, but I find that I'm just not careful enough with them and am afraid that I'd end up ruining them by stepping in some huge South Florida puddle, scraping them against the curb, or doing something else stupid to them.

I haven read through all the replays so this might be a repeat.

Its good to to know that you're supporting US jobs. We need to bring some back, even if it will result in higher prices IMO (ok, back to the shoes).

The he service is top notch at their Allen Edmonds branded stores. Living in Denver, I'm fortunate to have on close by and will always go in just to gawk and drool. They ask if there's anything I need help with and I say no. They're chill at that location and know me by name. I'm on my fourth pair (the attached just came in the mail and I have the day off).

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 123
The soles are not the same & the leather is not of the quality of the older ones. The craftsmanship is no where near what it was. You can buy 4 or five pair & get years of use. My grandfather gave me this piece of advice & it was don't buy cheap shoes. I have many but they were acquired over the last 40 years. If you are happy with them, fine. I just don't want a new guy thinking he is getting a top of the line shoe. You know as well as I a lot of people on this forum jump on the bandwagon & state something is wonderful when in reality its not. I am not telling anyone not to buy, I am just stating my 40 + years of experience using this product.

The soles are not the same & the leather is not of the quality of the older ones. The craftsmanship is no where near what it was. You can buy 4 or five pair & get years of use. My grandfather gave me this piece of advice & it was don't buy cheap shoes. I have many but they were acquired over the last 40 years. If you are happy with them, fine. I just don't want a new guy thinking he is getting a top of the line shoe. You know as well as I a lot of people on this forum jump on the bandwagon & state something is wonderful when in reality its not. I am not telling anyone not to buy, I am just stating my 40 + years of experience using this product.

point taken. As someone said, they're the Toyota Corolla of "higher priced." And yes, I've been into a Churches shop in Chicago (magnificent mile). One day. I do admit they were nice (I think I was wearing the Delray) when I went in.

Any which way you cut it, AE's are good quality shoes that look good and last a long time. If you own a pair of AE's, wear them proudly. If the mood and pocketbook strike you, i'd venture into deeper waters. Some folks try other "higher end" brands, then go right back to AE as that's their preference. Some like vodka, others scotch.

Just post those beautiful shoe pics whatever you get, and enjoy yourself!

Interesting thread and I learned a lot - particularly from Joel's explanation.

At one time I worked for a company that had an accounting office in Wisconsin as well as other facilities. I bought my first pair of AE shoes about 30 years ago and my last pair about 25 years ago. Back then their quality was good and they lasted a long time. In fact, I still have them today. However, last year I was in NYC and planned to buy another pair of AE shoes. When I went to a shoe store in Manhattan I was wearing my "antique" AE shoes. I examined the new pair and was amazed at the difference in construction and quality. Even after more than 25 years the interior of my shoes looked better than the new ones.

I have several pairs of AEs and like them very much. I have a few pairs of higher end shoes, but tend to use the AEs as my daily go-to.

I don't think you'll be dissapointed at all with them. That said, it may open the door to some larger ticket wants.

Interesting thread and I learned a lot - particularly from Joel's explanation.

At one time I worked for a company that had an accounting office in Wisconsin as well as other facilities. I bought my first pair of AE shoes about 30 years ago and my last pair about 25 years ago. Back then their quality was good and they lasted a long time. In fact, I still have them today. However, last year I was in NYC and planned to buy another pair of AE shoes. When I went to a shoe store in Manhattan I was wearing my "antique" AE shoes. I examined the new pair and was amazed at the difference in construction and quality. Even after more than 25 years the interior of my shoes looked better than the new ones.

Jim...You touch on an interesting point, IMO. We've evolved into a more "disposable" society. I think we were eventually conditioned to accept lower overall quality products and manufacturing (and please...no offense is intended here regarding those of us proudly working in the manufacturing industry). Think about it. Cars, clothing, electronics...heck, even many firearms have a tendency to suffer from a quicker deterioration. Of course, there are other impact factors such as finer sophistication, etc.

In any event, from my simple view, stuff just ain't what it used to be.

Im a gear head by nature. The way I see it is like this if you can afford a Bentley then have at it. If you're happy with your Impala or 300 then more power or you. If someone gave me a Rolls Royse I wouldn't be opposed to driving it if I could afford it but I'm happy with my little S10.

I've been half heartedly looking into getting a nicer pair of casual but nice shoes and this thread has been very interesting. I've seen people mention that these shoes can be found on sale. Are these sales at the stores themselves, or on the internet? Where can I find sales on AE shoes?

Being an owner of two AE pairs made in the late 1990s, and one pair made last month, I would say the quality of the recent pair is not far from the quality of the previous pairs. The leather in the uppers is not as soft, but then again the new pair is a different model shoe, so an apples-to-apples comparison is not possible. Nonetheless, I have no issue with the quality of the shoes. If the soles wear out or separate from the uppers (doubtful), then I'll get them re-soled or re-crafted.

Those interested in AE shoes should not be scared away by the discussion herein, IMO. You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you get what you need.

There was an earlier question about AE sales. You will periodically find sales at the AE online site.

Last edited:

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member

Great story. I suspect there are a lot of brands & products out there about which something similar could be said.

Jim...You touch on an interesting point, IMO. We've evolved into a more "disposable" society. I think we were eventually conditioned to accept lower overall quality products and manufacturing (and please...no offense is intended here regarding those of us proudly working in the manufacturing industry). Think about it. Cars, clothing, electronics...heck, even many firearms have a tendency to suffer from a quicker deterioration. Of course, there are other impact factors such as finer sophistication, etc.

In any event, from my simple view, stuff just ain't what it used to be.

Far too true far too often.

I tend to worry when I hear guys singing the praises of a "long lasting, quality" product with "I bought my first set of widgets from the American Widget Company in 1962, and they're still going strong like new!" without considering that a lot may have (and probably has) happened since then.

I get at least one email a day from AE for a sale. They are like Joseph bank, theres always a sale going on. This also never happen before they were sold. So I will get off their quality issues.

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
Great story. I suspect there are a lot of brands & products out there about which something similar could be said.

Far too true far too often.

I tend to worry when I hear guys singing the praises of a "long lasting, quality" product with "I bought my first set of widgets from the American Widget Company in 1962, and they're still going strong like new!" without considering that a lot may have (and probably has) happened since then.

this one??

http://www.angelfire.com/mo/soup/test.html

Good discussion here, lots of good feedback and insights.

I do not own any vintage AE or other makers mentioned in this thread, but assuming the original poster's question was about comparing AE with walking into the local mall department store and picking up a pair of Steve Madden or Florsheim shoes, or going to the local Bass/Clarks outlet store then they are worth the premium over any of those IMO.

Most of my AE shoes are from their rough collection. But maybe this also be a way for them to use poorer grade leather and hide the fact?? I have one causal/rough pair that looks a like a wrinkly elephant hide, the leather would never stand for a dress shoe, but I like the appearance with jeans and I expect to wear it many more times through a resole. I believe some would not like the quality/appearance of the leather but I like it in this particular shoe.

the question was not whether AE shoes are as good now as they were before the company changed hands.

The question was whether or not they are worth their price over other brands. Since "other brands" that cost less are certainly not hand made, probably not recraftable, and certainly not made in the US, and are certainly made with lesser quality materials, the answer to the OP is "YES."

Whether or not they are as good as they once were is irrelevant to the OP's original question. They are still superior to cheaper shoes and will typically outlast them easily.

Once my father discovered Allen Edmonds he never bought another brand of dress shoe. They still looked good after many years of regular use but he was pretty meticulous about keeping them polished. If he ever sent any back to the factory for refurbishment I didn't know about it.

Top Bottom