What's new

Name of bright plastic scale material

Hi Guys,

I want to buy some more of the brightly coloured resin material for Scales. I have some at them oment in orange with veins through it and some in green with brown veins.

I just can't remember the correct name though - would someone be kind enough to refresh my memory please?

Many thanks

Dave

Do you mean this beautiful stuff?
$DSCN0694.jpg

Yeah, its Kirinite. If you show it to Doc or Larry, it works like Kriptonite against Superman.

Attachments

• $001.jpg
    $001.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 184
You know that's my favorite of your razors:surrender:.

Yes, thank you. Just a coincidence that I did shave with it this morning.

Of course you know how impressed I am with your razors. Truly wonderful what you're able to do. I have no such talent. All I can do is criticize or admire. With your work, I can do both! lol

Sorry OP, I know kirinite is very popular, it's just not for me. I think because it's too flashy, especially for a classic, old razor.

Oooh , a cold chill just ran through me. I can't imagine it. Might as well put a glitter paint job and spinner mag wheels on a Duesenberg. Yeah, that'll look good. Flavor of the day 'cause it's new.
Then too I just used a 2-5 million year old material for scales. I'm old school when it comes to the classics.

Many thanks guys, indeed, that's the stuff.

Never tried working with it yet.
It's kind of interesting. It's a 3 dimensional pattern within the material and typically too thick for scales. As you sand it thinner, the pattern changes. In general, I found it very easy to work with and bring up to a high luster.

Oooh , a cold chill just ran through me. I can't imagine it. Might as well put a glitter paint job and spinner mag wheels on a Duesenberg. Yeah, that'll look good. Flavor of the day 'cause it's new.
Then too I just used a 2-5 million year old material for scales. I'm old school when it comes to the classics.

One of the few things on which I disagree with you Mark. I like the contrast between the utilitarian old and the decorative new. It doesn't always work, but when it does, it gives great joy. Sometimes you want a pristinely restored classic to show off to your friends, but other times you just want something different for howling at the moon.

I don't think every razor has to be a factory fresh resto. Different scales can be fun and unique.But as you say sometimes it doesn't work. To my eyes , and this is only my view , I've yet to see one that has just for the sake of howling at the moon.
Maybe it's my "artistic " background that leads me this way. But bling for the sake of bling doesn't woo me. I guess I'm just odd like that.

Last edited:
Top Bottom