What's new

Open Comb before and after w/repair/disassembly

Chris, Thank You again for your valuable time and effort. :thumbup1: I feel pleased and lucky to have scored these razors. I now have a #15, #16 (but defective where the head freely rotates about the handle), #21,#22 and #66 among the British Aristos. Yippee!

Last edited:
Great Thread and great work Cap.
Thank you for the kind words, Rev!
Chris, Thank You again for your valuable time and effort. :thumbup1: I feel pleased and lucky to have scored these razors. I now have a #15,#21,#22 and #66 among the British Aristos. Yippee!
It is my pleasure, Roopesh! You sure are on a streak with these High-dollar acquisitions! Having said that, we will require pictures of them all nicely placed on the cloth of your choice....might I suggest "green" :lol:

Thank you for the kind words, Rev!

It is my pleasure, Roopesh! You sure are on a streak with these High-dollar acquisitions! Having said that, we will require pictures of them all nicely placed on the cloth of your choice....might I suggest "green" :lol:

Yes, will surely do and I will remember to look for a green cloth. As you know though, it will be few months before I get these razors in my hands. As far as these and other high-dollar acquisitions, I blame it on all the fine enablers on this forum, including your threads. :001_tongu

Yes, will surely do and I will remember to look for a green cloth. As you know though, it will be few months before I get these razors in my hands. As far as these and other high-dollar acquisitions, I blame it on all the fine enablers on this forum, including your threads. :001_tongu
I should have included a green cloth in the box containing your Brits!...:bored: As far as the enabling and influence...I gladly take pride in that:thumbsup: woohoo!

Here's a look at the 21's guts. Pretty clean if you ask me! The TTO knob on this one was a little sticky so after I had it taken apart, it went through numerous soaks and ultrasonic cycles. After doing a few of these, I have adapted my cleaning methods by implementing a little trick and it works GREAT! Here's what I do: (and this works for the superspeeds and basically any other TTO) I take some bar keepers friend and I pack some inside the body of the razor and a little in the TTO end. Then I apply a very small amount of water for lubrication. After this, I insert the door rod/head assembly into the razor and gently operate the TTO knob. This cleans them threads better than anything I have ever tried, even a stiff brass bristled brush! The bar keepers friend is also gentle enough that it does not affect the plating whatsoever, especially that armor like rhodium! I am now beginning to recommend that all fatboy users do a bi-monthly "bar keepers friend tune up" where a small amount of the BKF is packed in the TTO along with a few drops of hot water and the TTO worked gently and then thoroughly rinsed out and lightly oiled. The abrasive composition is subtle, yet effective. Having said all of that, I am not an expert or licensed vintage razor mechanic, just sharing some food for thought:smile:

Attachments

• $uploadfromtaptalk1416006644193.jpg
    $uploadfromtaptalk1416006644193.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 175
Last edited:
Chris, thank you for this neat tip. I have already made note of the Bar Keepers as you preferred cleaning product.

Chris, thank you for this neat tip. I have already made note of the Bar Keepers as you preferred cleaning product.
No problem, Roopesh! Very seldom do I use it on the exterior of the razor that I work on. If knurling is very dirty or packed with crud, then I use it.

I've been working on Open Combs too. This one came in with a "sticky TTO knob". I will reiterate my previous mention on these "sticky" TTO knobs on the British Open combs. A sticky TTO knob for these particular razors is usually a result of a loose TTO knob where the inner shoulder has essentially worn out over time allowing a little bit of downward sag, if you will. I don't know why this affects the operation of the doors opening and closing but it does. Another thing that causes a "sticky TTO knob" is a result of some bent head parts i.e. door hinges, doors themselves, the small curled retainers that keep the doors on their studs, or a combination of everything. The corner teeth, if bent, can also affect the mechanical operation of the razor. As we all know, the operating tolerances on these British OCs are very precise so if the razor gets dropped, you can guarantee some stiffness! Here are the before photos:
$100_3091.jpg$100_3092.jpg$100_3093.jpg

Disassembly:
$100_3094.jpg$100_3095.jpg
As you can see, these British OCs are usually relatively clean where the threads go down into the TTO knob and contrary to popular belief, these razors work better with a thin film of soap scum on the threads.

Last edited:
This reminds me, I have a 34 Aristocrat that a door hangs up on I believe due to a bent corner tooth. I'll let you catch your breath before sending that one. :001_cool:

This reminds me, I have a 34 Aristocrat that a door hangs up on I believe due to a bent corner tooth. I'll let you catch your breath before sending that one. :001_cool:

:thumbsup: Sounds great, Paul! I am treading water with bricks tied to my feet right now with all these razors! .....I need a secretary:blink:

This OC will actually be taken apart again and possibly sent in for replating. Just waiting for the SilverArrow to give me the word! In the meantime, @slr31 "Roopesh" has been going nuts! I have a bunch of Open Combs of his to cleanup and repair:biggrin:

Here's the Next OC in the queue:

Attachments

• $uploadfromtaptalk1417036782806.jpg
    $uploadfromtaptalk1417036782806.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 109
  • $uploadfromtaptalk1417036791881.jpg
    $uploadfromtaptalk1417036791881.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 111
  • $uploadfromtaptalk1417036800896.jpg
    $uploadfromtaptalk1417036800896.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 168
  • $uploadfromtaptalk1417036809802.jpg