What's new

Open Comb before and after w/repair/disassembly

Scarey work with the teeth. I think the torch was the trick. Too many posts on the bent teeth snapping off when trying to straighten them.

Great job.

Next up for some British razor love, is Slr31. He sent me an OC for some TLC. Before photos:

Chris, I cannot express how happy I am that you are working on my razors in making them prettier and usable so them razors can have their lost pride back :laugh:. You sir, are a tremendous asset here on B&B. Thank You CAP. :thumbup:

I can't wait to see the after pics on this #21, err #15 err #1936 Aristocrat..Hmm! Doesn't matter, it is British after all. :001_tongu

Thank You all for the help with the ID.

Last edited:
I was watching this one on the bay, and the condition was terrible. Roopesh got it and he was not sure, but now it's in the right hands. I am glued to my screen to see how this turns out.

The silver plated pre 15 is currently soaking in a solution to free up some crud that I suspect is covering up the left handed retainer screw that I am hoping this razor features. When I placed it in my Ultrasonic bath, rocks and seashell like material started coming out of the TTO knob, I am not even kidding here. It was black as night and very hard material...I have no clue how it got in there but it's coming out. If I cannot reveal a retainer screw, I will have to live with the unknown insides of the razor, only time will tell. As far as the mechanics of this razor, they improved greatly after a 40 minute soak in just below boiling water and dish soap. It started out with a very sticky TTO operation and the doors were tight. I put it back into the US bath after the soak and it kept pouring out that black crud. Stay tuned, gents:smile:

. . .I suspect is covering up the left handed retainer screw that I am hoping this razor features.
Cap. Fwiw, mine is not reverse threaded, so right handed.

$IMG_2848.jpg$IMG_2849.jpg$IMG_2850.jpg

Last edited:
So there are two pieces...once that small screw is out, the larger piece it screws into just comes out? You saved the day sir!
Yup. Really simple. The tiny screw is a retainer screw which screws into the bottom of the small cylinder. The small cylinder screws onto the bottom of the silo door post.

The retaining clips under the plate were not even flared out (don't think they are on the flat plate types) so the silo doors and post just slid right out by turning the TTO knob and pulling up.
:001_smile

Last edited:
Yup. Really simple. The tiny screw is a retainer screw which screws into the bottom of the small cylinder. The small cylinder screws onto the bottom of the silo door post.

The retaining clips under the plate were not even flared out (don't think they are on the flat plate types) so the silo doors and post just slid right out by turning the TTO knob and pulling up.
:001_smile
That's awesome! Thank you so much for your help! Now to see if I can expose the straight slot...I looked inside it with a magnifying glass and it was not even visible. CLR and time is the key here:thumbup:

you could maybe modify a plastic butter knife so's you could get up in there and lightly scrape some of that dirt out, just an idea. but im sure you'll get er done just fine...but ive used plastic butter knifes for more than one occasion on my old razors, lol

Capt not to confuse the issue and it may not even apply but I had a 30' American Crat that didn't even have a retainer screw. Otonoman said that some of these early ones didn't use one. Not sure if this applies to early British models.

Top Bottom