What's new

Aussie Femme Fatales.

Legion

Staff member
That was actually an exhibition shown in our National Archives. I went, and it was quite interesting.

Quite an interesting collection. Not the least of which is there were some very short people back in the day.

I had no idea Australia had such a large amount of cocaine dealers in those years,it was shortly after the U.S. banned it in non prescription medicines and of course ,Coca-Cola...

I had no idea Australia had such a large amount of cocaine dealers in those years,it was shortly after the U.S. banned it in non prescription medicines and of course ,Coca-Cola...

Now, this is something I hadn't heard before! Thanks for the link with the photos!

Legion

Staff member
Not exactly a good basis for a tourism campaign.

Yeah.... If I had to be honest, the modern mugshots wouldn't look much better. Less fur coats...

I said this last time this group of shots came up. If you are interested in that period of time, see if you can download or get hold of a tv series called Underbelly - Razor. It is a TV drama we had here about the razor gangs in Sydney. Two (#21 was one of them) female crime bosses went to war during the depression, and because guns were about as regulated then as now, their gangs sliced each other to bits with straight razors. Regularly. Both gruesome, and topical.

Not exactly a good basis for a tourism campaign.

This is :)

proxy.php

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Makes one wonder that the attractive woman is a recent invention.

One might make a credible argument that the more "manly" or frumpish looking female criminals were processed and prosecuted, while beauty had an advantage and were more likely to escape with lighter treatment or warnings.

It wouldn't be the first time in historical legacy where good looks paid off in spades and ugliness was punished mercilessly.

Top Bottom