What's new

Best AS for an interview?

You should wear Kouros tomorrow, just to celebrate and to make a formidable first impression with your co-workers!

Something which is discreet, but noticeable. Aramis, English Leather, Floid Blue all are tolerable even up close, yet show you have a sense of good taste and care about personal grooming/hygiene.

Something I just learned in a professional job search seminar:

When interviewing, DO NOT USE ANY SCENT WHATSOEVER.

Your body chemistry when you are nervous will change the scent on your skin to something unpleasant. Even if this didn't happen, you may pick a scent that's off-putting to the interviewer.

Something I just learned in a professional job search seminar:

When interviewing, DO NOT USE ANY SCENT WHATSOEVER.

Your body chemistry when you are nervous will change the scent on your skin to something unpleasant. Even if this didn't happen, you may pick a scent that's off-putting to the interviewer.

Definitely the safe bet, but I wore the Veg to my last interview and got the job. :Veg:

Mother of God...I thought this thread started in October 2015...not 2014!
Anyway, my two scents (ha, see what I did there?) for any job applicants out there reading this thread in 2020 (hey, ya never know...this thread has had a long shelf life so far), avoid any aftershave or cologne during the interview process. The reasons have been listed in previous posts. I can only offer observations from the only interview process I was involved in while on the other side of the table...as one of the interviewers.
About 13 years ago a position opened in my department, one in which I'm laughably called "Director". The Sales Manager and I interviewed two finalists, both recent college graduates. One was a very pretty woman and the other, a young man. They both met the criteria...willing to work cheap.
The young woman, I hate to admit, had points knocked off by the Sales Manager and I, because she would likely soon be married and would start a family. Sexist, yes. And I'm forever ashamed of this. No, really. No sarcasm. If I had a daughter, and the only reason she wasn't hired was because of the threat of Maternity Leave, I'd be pi**ed. I'm sorry.
The young man that was hired has become the biggest mistakes ever. The ten sick days per year allotment/entitlement? Taken advantage of. Wearing flip flops, not sandals mind you, but honest to God flip flops in the office? Check. Dr. Who t-shirts..hell, any t-shirts. Yup.
Hipster caps? You betcha.
And the unholy funk emanating from the seemingly unwashed clothing? I'm a smoker, but I wash my clothes on a semi-regular basis to get the stank out...his side of our office may as well have those Pigpen squiggly stink lines rising above him. And people wonder why I have bottles of the Veg and Aqua Velva Musk in my desk drawer.
I almost wish this guy, way back in 2002, showed up reeking of Hai Karate or Sex Panther (not that those would've helped this confirmed bachelor), and I'd have been repulsed enough to go the sensible, non-sexist route and hired the lovely young woman. Her going on Mat Leave every 18 months would've been preferable to the 13 years of annoyance I've endured due to the stupidity of me and the Sales Manager.
The Sales Manager resigned less than a month later, by the way. I still see him every once in a while, and I swear he's laughing like hell every time.
Oh, so yeah. Don't wear aftershave during a job interview.
{rant off...hello, B&B Members in 2020}

Last edited:
It lives; this thread that is. I am the OP and I went to the interview wearing some Lucky Tiger AS & FT because of the very subtle, almost non-existent scent and it leaves my face feeling fine. It took many interviews and 5 months but I got the job and I'm still there today. The plus is I work from home most of the time so I can wear whatever scent I want.

It lives; this thread that is. I am the OP and I went to the interview wearing some Lucky Tiger AS & FT because of the very subtle, almost non-existent scent and it leaves my face feeling fine. It took many interviews and 5 months but I got the job and I'm still there today. The plus is I work from home most of the time so I can wear whatever scent I want.

And in your underwear.

Lucky Tiger. Don't take any scent risk in a job interview. Wouldn't be prudent.

Last edited by a moderator:
Best AS for an interview... None. I have been on both sides of the interview table and the best appearance is just being clean and presentable with nothing to distract from the interview.

IMO your AS should not be detectable. Lucky Tiger would me my choice from your options. Great stuff!

Sounds like you were very persistent. Congrats on the job.

Top Bottom