What's new

New shoes

And they've landed in the UK!

Currently in customs clearance, so I'm expecting to get a card in the next few days telling me how much I have to pay.

Latest update - the shoes were held for six days by customs!

Finally they were released and made it to my home town, and today I received notification that I had to pay £59 - there's 20% VAT plus 8% import duty on shoes plus an £8 charge by the Post Office for providing the service of collecting the money.

I've paid online, and they say the shoes will be delivered tomorrow!

They arrived this morning!

Important first test - they fit me near perfectly. They're a little snug across the instep, but I think just about right for new shoes, and they hold nicely across the toes with no pressure. Comfortable on the heel too, with no noticeable slipping when I walk.

And they really are beautiful - instantly my favourite pair of shoes. Everything about them just says quality...

I thought the leather might feel a bit stiff after being unworn for so long, but it's firm but flexible and feels really good. I'll treat it to a bit of conditioner before I first wear them, but the leather really is as good as new.

I really like the selective burnishing of the pebble grain. The toe caps are burnished smooth at the very toe, easing off as they go back - and there's a lighter burnishing all along the long wings. Then the vamps and the eyelet tabs are left with full texture. The overall look is superb.

With the very thick soles, I thought the shoes would look a bit clumpy, but with the relatively low toe box they don't look that way at all - the overall lines are surprisingly slick.

And super-fine double-row stitching everywhere - some of the finest shoe stitching I've ever seen.

Overall cost, including shipping and import taxes, was £218 ($350), and I'm happy with that - I wouldn't get modern shoes of this quality at anything like that price (even if they would have cost only $15 in the 60s :001_cool:)

The only thing is, I don't want to spoil those lovely soles - maybe I'll only wear them indoors on carpets for a while :001_rolle

As an update, I've treated the shoes with Saphir Renovateur and Saphir cream polish, and the leather has noticeably softened and they feel even better on my feet now. I still haven't worn them anywhere other than at home on carpet, mind!

I think I am going to go with some Sole Savers - they look surprisingly thin compared to the usual thick black rubber stick-ons, and I've found a UK source. They're relatively expensive, but cheap compared to the price of the shoes, and these are shoes that I'll be wearing sparingly.

Last edited:
And I couldn't resist another vintage pair. I spotted these on eBay a week ago, and they looked vaguely familiar...

$sh1.jpg

$sh2.jpg

Then I found an identical pair here described as "1960's Church's English Ranch Oxhide Oxford Wingtips".

They look to be in excellent condition with very little wear, and they've had stick-on soles which have left the original leather sole undamaged underneath - I should be able to get the rest of the glue off easily enough.

Price was £125 (~$200) inc shipping, and they're on their way - and this time no international shipping or import taxes.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
And I couldn't resist another vintage pair. I spotted these on eBay a week ago, and they looked vaguely familiar...

View attachment 516697

Then I found an identical pair here described as "1960's Church's English Ranch Oxhide Oxford Wingtips".

I have virtually the same shoe, but in a Derby by Dack's, and with camel hide. I got them in the 1990s during Dack's's last great "glory years" phase, before becoming, in short order, first "a shell of its former self" and then "defunct".

I have virtually the same shoe, but in a Derby by Dack's, and with camel hide. I got them in the 1990s during Dack's's last great "glory years" phase, before becoming, in short order, first "a shell of its former self" and then "defunct".

I've been doing some more searching, and I found something that suggests the wrinkly effect is produced by a tanning process that shrinks the hide a little and that ox hide (and presumably camel) works well for that - annoyingly, I've lost the link now and I can't find it again.

I've just done a search for camel hide too, and it looks like it can produce some very nice leather - the closest I've come to camel hide was sitting on one for four days in India :001_smile

And a search for Dack's finds some great-looking shoes, like these, and these gorgeous camel-hide longwings.

Last edited:
Top Bottom