What's new

Safety Razor of the Month, October 2014 - Frankenrazors

Hi,

You know, I don't understand the concept of calling a razor 'franken' just because it sports a different handle. I would reserve that moniker for a razor where the baseplate and top cap are mismatched.

However, I know I am in the minority regarding this, so in the spirit of the Razor of the Month being a FrankenRazor where the handle has been changed, here are a couple of mine, also being used for Open Comb October - OCtober, as it is known.

This is a Fasan Double Slant where the original plastic handle is packed away in the box, and a Rhodium replated Gillette Bar handle has been substituted. In addition, since the metal top cap of this Fasan is much heavier than its plastic counterpart, I have loaded the hollow Bar handle with number eight lead shot. The thing is top heavy without the loading, and the double slant design works better if the head isn't pushing so much against the skin.

$Fasan_2_Bar.jpg

Now, here is the Fasan Double Slant with the plastic top cap, paired up with a gold Fat Tech handle, which is not loaded since the lighter top cap does not need any counterbalance weight. I had this handle as a spare, and thought that the gold went with the ivory of the plastic quite well.

$Fasan_1_Gold_Tech_1.jpg

Stan

Top Bottom