What's new

Canvas Bag makers - Filson, Barbour, Others?

Yes, @Blue-EyedSon a carry handle is a must and I missed the Barbour not having it. Thanks for pointing it out as that would have been a major disappointment.

No problem. A lot is personal preference, though I consider that a really important feature. Also for what it's worth, as others have noted, it's possible to find Filson bags on sale. I bought mine at a place called Joe'sSportingGoods. If I remember right, they had a sale of about 35% off.

Well as much as I thought I'd wait, a few searches, emails, PM's and research brought up this bag for $120 shipped to Canada, so I couldn't resist.

Filson direct had the BLUE for the same price ($99) but I wasn't set on it. I found the Tan/Olive or whatever this one is, confirmed with the store (A Shooting Supply store) and grabbed the last one they had!

I have a feeling this won't be the only bag headed to Winnipeg in the next little while! :thumbup:

$bfl805__24987.1404147916.1280.1280.jpg

Nice one! You'll love it

On a side note Bruce, my bag is the 256. Classic briefcase in brown. Not as cool as you messenger style, but neither am I!

Last edited:
My Filson has done more travelling in the past 24 hrs, then I have in the past 3 years.

It's gone from Illinois to New York to Chicago. I guess it is touring America before it makes it's way up to Canada.

Last edited:
My Filson bag arrived today and we have a small problem...:blink:

I may already have FBAD (Filson Bag Acquisition Disorder):w00t:.

It's much, much nicer then I ever expected. Well thought out and designed, quality hardware and material, came with a tin of wax and instructions to revamp it when the time comes. It appears it will age and show distress and marks like leather, which I am looking forward too.

Pics will follow when I get home.

I'm 3.5 years into my Filson 257. I know I had a briefcase before this, but I sure don't remember what it was. Enjoy yours and good luck figuring out which kid to give it to when you retire.

I'm 3.5 years into my Filson 257. I know I had a briefcase before this, but I sure don't remember what it was. Enjoy yours and good luck figuring out which kid to give it to when you retire.

That's why I need to start looking for a second bag....2 boys, 2 bags, justification enough to start the search. [emoji106]1:
Enjoy the bag Bruce.

Thanks guy and thanks to all who helped make my decsion easier and affirmed the quality of Filson as well as the other names in the canvas bag world.

I transfered all my EDC stuff over and have plenty of room to spare. Makes me want to upgrade my EDC knife and pick up a new Fenix flashlight to go with the new bag.

It seems classy enough and stylish enough to use for heading out with the kids and not just to lug stuff, back and forth to work...a real Man Purse if you will. :laugh:

Last edited:
Get this....Someone tried to steal my Filson today :mad3:

My wife kept saying "Oooooo, that would go perfect with my outfit for work tomorrow, I love the large opening, I like the buckles more then the leather straps, it's the perfect colour for me...."

Bruce, which Filson bag is that? I'm liking it.

I got mine for $99 new and from an authorized seller. Filson was clearing out the Dark Blue for the same price, but I wanted the tan/brown one.

So far, it's been everything I could have wanted in a bag. It's durable, water wicks away, large opening for my daily work stuff (lunch, water etc) and small front pockets for my EDC stuff.

I'm even using it when I take the kids out, sans-wife who normally carries some of my stuff, and am loving it. As much as I thought I'd want the leather straps and fastening system, the one handed snaps on this one make it a breeze to open and close and fit my status more.

Filson 70112 Tin Cloth Medium Field Bag

Last edited:
Three months of pretty much daily use, one flight and a few road trips and I still have nothing but praise for my Medium Field Bag.

It is the perfect style and size for me. Pockets and snaps are easy to use one handed and it has held up to stain resistantance and -40 weather. It is not showing any wear or freying of stitching or seams and appears to be holding up excellently.

It holds my lunch and all my EDC items with room to spare. I've been tempted to look at another but this one does what I need it to, so not sure I need to spend money on a second....but I'm still tempted every bow and then.

Action shot in the Sienna today.

Attachments

• $uploadfromtaptalk1420583704030.jpg
    $uploadfromtaptalk1420583704030.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:
FWIW you can get soft armor panels seperate from the vest for a pretty decent price, then just slip them into the laptop partition of most messenger bags. Given the likelihood of a workplace shooting incident I'm giving it serious thought. Without a plate it won't help against rifles but could stop handgun rounds. Not an outlandish idea at all, especially if you work for the gov't/mil. Lotta shootings out there :(

Top Bottom