What's new

Looking for a strong clove-y bay rum

Well, I just found out that SWMBO absolutely loves the scent of bay rum (particularly bay rum on me).

I didn't really expect it because she's so hot and cold about everything else I wear. That and when I first got the bottle this summer she sniffed it and gave it a big thumbs down, but now that it's cooler she absolutely loves it.

It's fall time now and I busted the VIBR out to give it a shot like I figured I would and it's definitely an excellent colder weather scent. It seems to have decent staying power and decent clove-y-ness (which is what she likes about the bay rum).

What I'm wondering is if there's something out there that's even more potent and clove-y than the VIBR? Possibly something that has even more staying power?

Last edited:
VIBR, for me, is pretty clove-y and on the strong side.
not too many others seem to match for cloviness and strength.
ogallala is great, but more musky.

$beach feather rooney vibr may 13 2014s.jpg

Well then I guess I found a winner that isn't too expensive? Maybe I need to find some clove oil or just add some cloves to the mix and see what happens.

I would say to try Suavecito Bay Rum. They typically make hair products but their bay run aftershave is just about ALL clove.

Does Ogallala bay rum pack more of a clove punch than Pinaud VIBR?

The double strength special reserve Ogallala is pretty potent stuff. Certainly has a prominent clovey element to it, although it's more the bay rum "clove" to my nose. Give it a shot (and be SURE to shake well before each use - trust me on this one)

This is an odd thread because most members on here are looking for the lack of cloves.

That's what I figured. I also assumed that those same people would have tried several brands and types that were just too clove-y for them and would be willing to divulge the secrets of clove-y bay rums.

And I'm well aware that swmbo is quite an odd duck when it comes to scents. Sometimes it works out for me, like with the bay rum so far, other times, more often than not, she'll give thumbs-down to things she's approved of in the past.

For example:
Some days A/V original or R/C musk are delightful, some days they smell like urinal cake early on, and others they apparently smell too "musky".

Regular R/C smells amazing some days, others it makes me smell like " old lady".

English leather got gagging responses initially (from one of my vintage bottles from my youth), but has gotten the so-so response lately from a new bottle.

Gillette Cool Wave was great the first 5-6 times I wore it, now it's apparently too much.

I even have a few designer colognes from back when I was a little more "baller" status that she liked initially, but now isn't the biggest fan of.

Its hard!

This thread is helpful me for the opposite reason. I love most bay rums but I don't like heavy clove so this gives me a list of bay rums to leave to the clove lovers!

Top Bottom