What's new

Questions about se shaving

Been usind de's for a while now, and I recently aquired a couple of se's. I have been looking for se blades, and just found a box at home ( wich we use to scrape of the stovetop) they look just like se blades I see when I google se razorblades. In one of my razors it looks like this; now the quetion is if I should give it a try.

Are there big differences in tecnique from de too se?

Any basic advice to prevent me from shaving my face of?

Attachments

• $uploadfromtaptalk1412508447410.jpg
    $uploadfromtaptalk1412508447410.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 64
The blades you have are probably scraper blades and not good for shaving. Good blades are available at CVS, Walgreens and possibly other drugstores.
The technique is a bit different as the angle is much shallower than DE, the cap should be almost touching your face.
The angle is easy to figure out and there is audible feedback when it is cutting the whiskers. They are excellent shavers and well worth trying with good blades.

Really just shallower angle as noted. Blades are stiffer then DE blades and will feel different, but a shave is a shave.

Any basic advice to prevent me from shaving my face of?

Yes - DON'T USE THOSE BLADES!

Not all single edge blades are created equal. They all look identical, but the ones sold at hardware stores have an inferior edge, and what they will do to your face will not be a pleasant experience.

Single edge blades for shaving can often be found in the shaving section of local drug stores, or can be ordered online from places like Razor Blades and More, West Coast Shaving, Amazon, etc. If you decide that single edge shaving is for you, they can be purchased in bulk at considerable savings from Ted Pella and others.

As others have mentioned, the proper blade angle for single edge shaving is much more shallow than for DE razors. Start with the cap right against your face and raise it up just until you hear the razor cutting whiskers.

The razor in your hand is an Ever Ready 1914, one of my personal favorites. As might be suggested by the considerable blade exposure, it is a fairly agressive razor. Proceed carefully until you get a feel for it.

A word of warning: I discovered single edge razors a few months ago. Since then I have collected over 30 of them, while my DE razors have collected dust. It could happen to you. :001_smile

--Bob

I would definitely second all the advice to NOT use those blades. They are likely double ground scrapers and will do just that to your skin. You want triple ground shaving blades that have a finer edge to them.

those are nice razors to shave with.dont use the scraper blades.been there done that,not as fun as "they"said it would be

Yes - DON'T USE THOSE BLADES!

Not all single edge blades are created equal. They all look identical, but the ones sold at hardware stores have an inferior edge, and what they will do to your face will not be a pleasant experience.

Single edge blades for shaving can often be found in the shaving section of local drug stores, or can be ordered online from places like Razor Blades and More, West Coast Shaving, Amazon, etc. If you decide that single edge shaving is for you, they can be purchased in bulk at considerable savings from Ted Pella and others.

As others have mentioned, the proper blade angle for single edge shaving is much more shallow than for DE razors. Start with the cap right against your face and raise it up just until you hear the razor cutting whiskers.

The razor in your hand is an Ever Ready 1914, one of my personal favorites. As might be suggested by the considerable blade exposure, it is a fairly agressive razor. Proceed carefully until you get a feel for it.

A word of warning: I discovered single edge razors a few months ago. Since then I have collected over 30 of them, while my DE razors have collected dust. It could happen to you. :001_smile

--Bob

+1. A Gem G-Bar is another nice one. For blades, I like the ptfe-coated Gems (I order mine from Connaught Shaving, as the 10/20/30 blade packs come in clear cubes of plastic that double as blade disposal things).

Top Bottom