What's new

Just Purchased Stagg Jr For a Gift

Just purchased a bottle of Stagg Jr. for a gift for a buddy who drinks Makers Mark almost exclusively. I realize the Makers is a wheat bourbon while the Stagg has more rye, but at 134 proof I figured he could keep the Stagg for overwhelming his bourbon drinking friends. Can anyone comment on their experience with Stagg Jr.? Should this be served with a touch of water or a little ice to cut the alcohol and open the flavors, or is the challenge of serving neat the way to go?

I haven't had the Jr, but I have had the Stagg and other high proof bourbon. It really depends on the particular whisky, I think, as well as personal preference, of course. In some, the alcohol really comes to the front and can overwhelm the flavors. A little water is very helpful in toning things down and opening the whisky up. I have had others though where I very much enjoy the bourbon neat without any added water. Stagg is one that I usually do not add any water, but the Jr. may be a completely different experience.

The Jr is definitely a bit hotter. I normally drink "cask strength" whisky neat, including stagg and some other very high abv whiskeys. That being said, because the Jr is a little young, I would recommend a wee bit of water. I feel the same way about Elijah Craig barrel proof and the EH Taylor barrel proof.

I've had 2 bottle of Stagg and 3 of Stagg Jr. I find they are better with a drop (tbsp.) of water in them. It really allows the flavors to come out, while cutting the alcohol so its not as harsh (particularly in the Jr.).

Its always interesting to give someone a small glass neat and watch them cough uncontrollably, curse and complain every now and then though. :devil2:

Furthermore, why don't I have friends like you? Anytime you feel like giving away bourbon, think of me!

I've had 2 bottle of Stagg and 3 of Stagg Jr. I find they are better with a drop (tbsp.) of water in them. It really allows the flavors to come out, while cutting the alcohol so its not as harsh (particularly in the Jr.).

Its always interesting to give someone a small glass neat and watch them cough uncontrollably, curse and complain every now and then though. :devil2:

Furthermore, why don't I have friends like you? Anytime you feel like giving away bourbon, think of me!

Ryan, I'd guess anyone who enjoys Stagg and Stagg Jr. does indeed have friends who would give you bourbon and more.

You're comment about the impact of serving the Jr. neat was the fun of the gift I am looking for. We have often shared a bottle of Makers and since the Jr was available I thought why not.

Stag is very difficult to come by around here. I bought the only bottle of Jr. I saw this year. I do like a bit of water for an ice cube in it to cut down the heat. The flavors are excellent.

I currently have 2 bottles of Stagg JR. I personally enjoy it with a bit of water. I feel the water helps to open up the whiskey by lessening the strong alcohol content and allowing the aromas and flavors to come out. I feel the same with George T Stagg and most bourbons or scotch that are barrel or cask strength.

I currently have 2 bottles of Stagg JR. I personally enjoy it with a bit of water. I feel the water helps to open up the whiskey by lessening the strong alcohol content and allowing the aromas and flavors to come out. I feel the same with George T Stagg and most bourbons or scotch that are barrel or cask strength.

Thanks Tom for the advice. My friend opened the bottle and 6 of us had about 1/2 oz. tastes.
The alcohol did result in 3 of us coughing a bit. I really enjoyed the flavors and the long finish.
It was one of those I want more finishes. I do think a splash of water would have cut the alcohol and allowed a little more savoring of this very enjoyable bourbon. I regret not buying the other bottle that was available for my own shelf.

Larry

Thanks Tom for the advice. My friend opened the bottle and 6 of us had about 1/2 oz. tastes.
The alcohol did result in 3 of us coughing a bit. I really enjoyed the flavors and the long finish.
It was one of those I want more finishes. I do think a splash of water would have cut the alcohol and allowed a little more savoring of this very enjoyable bourbon. I regret not buying the other bottle that was available for my own shelf.

Larry

Your welcome Larry, it's a very nice bourbon. I believe the distillery, Buffalo Trace is going to put out Stagg Jr 3 or 4 times a year so it should be a bit more available than its big brother George T Stagg. Next time you have it pour a couple ounces try adding a teaspoon of water at a time until it suits your taste. Just talking about it makes my mouth water.

After not being able to find any for about a year I finally scored some last week. This years only showed 128 proof, my last bottle was 134. I drink it neat, take a small sip and let it rest on the tongue for a short time before swallowing. It seems to bring out the flavor and takes the shock out of it. Great bourbon though.

Top Bottom