What's new

Lamy 2000 Section Issue

Well, I used my 2k at church all morning. Carried in my shirt pocket. It was great for marking up my guitar music and did not present the leaking issue today.

I'm thinking I'll give this pen heavy rotation this week so I can put it through its paces and get it returned if the issue persists, even with proper filling technique.

Also, why wouldn't I put it in heavy use this week... I really love this pen!

The directions that came with my Lamy 2000 say to put three drops back into the bottle by twisting the end cap slowly with the nib above the ink bottle. You then invert the nib, point it towards the ceiling, and close the end cap. This will clear the hole. It also leaves a bit of air space with the ink supply.

Wipe off the nib and you are good to go.

(I also had the "ink in the cap" issue. This did put ink on the section. The good news is the pen was capped and it fell point down onto the carpet/mat. I didn't drop it. Our fine cat pushed it off the sink. I flushed it with warm water. Half filled it and shook... Flushed again... Flicked out the water and used Sally's hair blower on warm to dry it out.) No cats were harmed during this process.

The directions!?!? I never said I was desperate [emoji12]

All kidding aside, thanks for chiming in and I think I learned a great lesson here.

Montblanc and Pelikan advise returning a few drops back to the bottle, flipping the pen and tightening the fill knob. It needs a little airspace.

I'm not sure if Lamy piston fillers need it too, perhaps it was over-filled.

proxy.php

I have never done this on any of my piston fill pens. I just make sure I clean the nib well, as well as the tip of the section, or where ever the fill hole is. Even though I have never had any leaking issues, I will use this technique from now on! Thanks Doug!

Well, I used my 2k at church all morning. Carried in my shirt pocket. It was great for marking up my guitar music and did not present the leaking issue today.

I'm thinking I'll give this pen heavy rotation this week so I can put it through its paces and get it returned if the issue persists, even with proper filling technique.

Also, why wouldn't I put it in heavy use this week... I really love this pen!

So, did you use the drip a couple drops of ink fill, or was this from the fill that you just made sure to clean the fill hole? Just curious because from the sound of your post, it sounded like a good amount of ink leaked out, more than would be in the fill hole.
I am glad you worked it out though, I love my Lamy 2000, I am going to have to ink it up this week from talking about them so much!

PS, what Pelikan do you have on the way? Be careful, those birds breed quickly!

So, did you use the drip a couple drops of ink fill, or was this from the fill that you just made sure to clean the fill hole? Just curious because from the sound of your post, it sounded like a good amount of ink leaked out, more than would be in the fill hole.
I am glad you worked it out though, I love my Lamy 2000, I am going to have to ink it up this week from talking about them so much!

PS, what Pelikan do you have on the way? Be careful, those birds breed quickly!

I'm still on the fill that included flushing and drying of the intake hole. I think the texture & striations on the section make a little ink look like a lot more.
I'm hoping this is the issue because I really like this pen!

And regarding the Pelikan... As any good collector might answer, "the one I could afford" :)

It might not dazzle many folks around here, but I wanted to get in on a Pelikan from Mr Binder while they were still available. I got the black m205 in black.

Do any of you have any experience with Pelikan's stainless nibs?

(Also incoming from my shaving goods purge are two Pilots... I'll be sure to document all of the incoming goodies as they're received)

they are not bad, little bit of feedback, have a little bit of srping to them, Mine will actually flex out more then most of the "Flew" nibs offered on pens like the ahab, or FPR steel ones, but they are not flex nibs. for a steel nibe at this price level from one of the bigger guys, it really seems to have had some thought put into it.

I got the black m205 in black.

the black one comes In black now ?

they are not bad, little bit of feedback, have a little bit of srping to them, Mine will actually flex out more then most of the "Flew" nibs offered on pens like the ahab, or FPR steel ones, but they are not flex nibs. for a steel nibe at this price level from one of the bigger guys, it really seems to have had some thought put into it.

the black one comes In black now ?

Lol, yep. That typo turned out a little bit like an xzibit meme.

Fwiw, my black macrolon black Lamy black 2000 did also :p

.soap. --

I agree with the other posters on this thread -- that little fill hole keeps ink in it, which contributes to ink all over the rest of what you own. I haven't used the Lamy instructions (what could Lamy know that I don't?), but I find that rinsing the section in warm water for a few seconds, then drying it on a paper towel, cleans things up beautifully. That does mean that you need to be near a sink when inking, but from my experience, that's best, even on pens not beginning with "Lamy" and ending with "2000." I have a Parker Premier that worked much better when I used the rinse on it.

Good luck --
Robert

And regarding the Pelikan... As any good collector might answer, "the one I could afford" :)

It might not dazzle many folks around here, but I wanted to get in on a Pelikan from Mr Binder while they were still available. I got the black m205 in black.

I have the same 205, with a broad nib. Smooth, wet nice writer! That is the only steel nib I have from Pelikan, but I am pretty sure you will be happy with it. What size nib?

Montblanc and Pelikan advise returning a few drops back to the bottle, flipping the pen and tightening the fill knob. It needs a little airspace.

I'm not sure if Lamy piston fillers need it too, perhaps it was over-filled.

proxy.php

Thanks! I've been using FPs for over 10 years and never new about this.

I have an inky 2k. The ink tends to leak the most until there's only about 25% left in the barrel. The ink tends to drip both out of the breather hole and from the top of the nib under the hood. I'm not sure if you can make it out in the pic, but it also pools at the bottom of the feed by the nib tip. It leaks so much that it has dripped on the page. It drips in the cap too, so when I cap it and un-cap it the grip section is covered. I tried pulling the nib/feed unit out and looked for cracks, but don't see anything. I've tried putting silicone grease on the threads and the problem persists. Goulet pens offered to replace it, but this is the pen I used to sign my wedding contract so there is some sentiment attached. I'd prefer a hack, but at the end of the day, it is just a pen. Thoughts?

$IMG_20150706_203909.jpg$IMG_20150706_204030.jpg

If it's leaking like that, I suspect some kind of a gap that's allowing air to get into the reservoir or feed. Could be a crack, could be a loose joint, a bad o-ring, or something else. If you can't find anything obvious, returning it for an exchange might be your best option.

I'd send it back to Goulet and have them send you a new one. They are great that way.

As to the wedding contract... Do you really want to connect that event to a pen that doesn't work as it should?

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I have 5 Pelikans and all I do is fill them and wipe the nib section on a paper towel. I never return ink to the bottle and none of them ever leak.

@danimalpharm - I had a fantastic experience with Lamy Customer Service. Another option would be to send it to them, explain the sentimental value and see if they can repair it under warranty. If a repair is necessary and they understand the sentimental value, they may be able to use as many parts from your original pen as possible.

I had the same issue and was worried I had a defective pen. Thanks to this thread, I've been able to accurately identify the defect <looks in mirror>.

Who'd have thought to apply the RTFM protocols? I mean, it's a piston-filled fountain pen - how hard could it be? :001_smile

I've not had this problem with my Lamy 2K, and I've used that same ink in it. When you fill the pen, you should return a few drops of ink to the bottle, then turn the nib upright, and then tighten the filler knob. This will draw excess ink out of the feed. This is actually good practice on any piston filler including Pelikans. If you leave the excess ink that can accumulate from filling in the feed, you can get exactly what's happeing to your pen.

If for some reason you don't want to return a few drops to the bottle after filling, you could just blot off a fair amount of ink from the nib while you're wiping down the section. That usually works too.

If the pen drips ink on the page consistently, you probably have an air leak someplace.

Thx, I'll try. After I fill the pen I return 3 drops but without turns the nib upright so far, so I make a little modification. My pen was twice time in Lamy's service in Germany and I received a new one but the problem occurred.

Top Bottom