What's new

Warped scales/off center blade

OK so I got a beautiful Dubl Duck Wonderedge that is in near mint condition with one big exception. I think one of the scales is definitely warped. The blade sits off center and if I'm not extremely careful closing it the blade will hit the scale. So I'm wondering if someone with far more experience knows how to fix this? I have some pics to show what I'm talking about. I'm not very experienced with restoration work and blade is way too nice for me to mess up trying to fix without a game plan.

$wonderedge.jpg$wonderedge1.jpg$wonderedge2.jpg

Attachments

• $wonderedge3.jpg
    $wonderedge3.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 137
  • $wonderedge4.jpg
    $wonderedge4.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 135
You can unpin and either steam them straight or use a hot air gun to heat them straight. DD scales are notorious for this kind of warpage and I find 3 pin scales more prone to it.

The blade also seems to have a frown.

No frown, just bad photography lol.

Any idea how long to heat them? I'm a bit nervous to do it myself on this blade.

Last edited by a moderator:
You can try holding them over a steaming pot until they give and then over correct the warp and allow to cool while holding. You might get away without unpinning.

Then take a hairdryer to the pivot.

I had a situation like that the other day and corrected it by holding the scales in some water I had microwaved close to boiling point. I left it there a bit then flexed it the other way and cool it down. It worked for me without needing to repin. I hope it does not revert back.

I have some that I had unpinned. Tried steaming them but they didn't get hot enough.so as a last ditch I dunked them in the boiling water then put them on a flat surface and put some weight on them til they cooled off. Much closer to their original shape. I'll wait to see if they stay that way before putting them back on the blade.

If you don't mind re-pinning, take the scales apart and hold each side of the scales under the hot water faucet for about a minute. While it's still hot, clamp it between two flat pieces of wood, plastic or whatever and put the whole mess in the fridge for 15 minutes.

This Shumate that I just finished cleaning up is in the same situation. off-center where the toe is clipping the end of the scale. I already tried bathing it in hot water without unpinning and gently bending, but it reverted back in a few days. Any other suggestions that doesn't involve unpinning? I've never unpinned before and the raised "art work" around this pin on this one makes it even more complicated.$offcenter.jpg

Top Bottom