What's new

Clippers or Scissors when you get a haircut?

Scissors only. I've used the same barber for over 15 years now, and he's excellent - he chooses to use scissors only for mine, incidentally. Not only am I happy with my cut, but I'm used to receiving compliments whenever it's been cut too. I have more of a 'graduated' hair cut (so I was once told by a hair and beauty student) these days but when I was a kid/teenager I used to have a short back and sides, so my hair was cut with a combination of scissors and clippers.

Both, no guard for the sides and back of my head, fade almost up into a high & tight then scissors to get to between 1/2 & 1" on top. I leave the actual final length up to my barber, their judgment is invariably better than mine.

ETA: Interesting note, I have found that with the exception of one Ukranian, men somehow never get it right. Women I'll occasionally need to tell them to fade it a bit higher up in the back (When I say I want as little hair as possible on the sides and back of my head I mean it) but with men I always end up with a haircut I'm quantifiably unsatisfied with. Maybe it's just been the luck of the draw, maybe it's just me.

Last edited:
Scissors and then clippers to clean up over the ears and the neck line. I've been going to the same place for 10 years or so and try to use the same girl.

I wear my hair different lengths different times a year, everything from a short shag cut to a pageboy (my hair grows fast). So... scissors all the way. Last summer I even had a much more traditional haircut done with scissors and it looked much better than the clipper cuts I got as a kid on military bases.

My barber likes to switch it up. He's completely deaf so it's quite interesting telling him what I want. It usually involves a fair bit of gestures. He does a fantastic job and he has a great sense of humour.

The two best barbers in my life always used scissors sometimes clippers on touch up. After I moved could not find a good haircut anywhere. So I bought a wahl and have been cutting my own for about 12 years now. I use the clippers for sides and back and scissors to trim the top. At least the price is right and if it is messed up, at least I have myself to blame.
But i guess at a barber i prefer scissors with clippers once in a bit. Clippers to me seem a lazy way to cut. But just my opinion. I know I could never cut someone's hair with just scissors.

It all depends on the skill of the barber. I go to a Hispanic barbershop. Those guys are masters at doing fades and lining up. My particular barber who I go to uses clippers, scissors, and a straight. There is nothing less than a five star review when it comes to this barbershop. Way better than Supercuts or whatever those lackluster chain salons are called.

I prefer a combination of clipper, scissors, razor(shavette), and thinning shear.

+1... my barber uses this, been going to her for 10 yrs, plus a nice hot lather at neck line, sideburns and ears, followed by clubman and some talc. she is one of the last Old School Barbers in Tucson, plus does great straight shaves as well. Once a year I indulge myself

Top Bottom