What's new

If you knew then what you know now...

Hi Folks,
I joined the forum a while back and have made great use of the 'review' section to help me choose the Merkur Progress as my first DE safety (excellent!), and have a Merkur slant (Barbers Pole-can't wait! ) on order from Lee's Razors..
So,the question is this ..I am about to plunge in and buy my first straight edge- if you guys had to go back and get just one straight what would it be, knowing all you do about razors and all your experience?
I have around £70 ($140) ish to spend and would like one to last a good long while
Also, what is the minimum kit to get with it for keeping it sharp - and any recommendations for sellers too?
Regards
Jem

To do it all over again knowing what I know now? A 6/8 Thiers Issard Super Gnome, and with a $140.00 budget you will have some money left for one of Tony's starter strops.

It will take (and keep) a very good edge that wont fade halfway through the shave, its reasonably priced, easy to find and will last a lifetime if properly cared for. Classicshaving has them.

Dave

The Super Gnome is a good choice. I have few 5/8 razors, but of the six straights I have kept from all I've tried, one is a Super Gnome. I think it may be the most inexpensive of the six also.
Another good choice in my opinion is a 5/8 or 6/8 Henckels Friodur. The whiskers run from mine. Stainless is a bit more difficult to hone to a sharp edge, but man-o-man, when it arrives a Friodur is awesome.
But everyone will have their own opinion on this subject.

..how much weight do you put in to the 'look/aesthetics' of the razor, or is that something the beginner is concerned with yet your experience it becomes less important?
Regards
Jem

A presharpened razor, either new or vintage, but reputably honed. The next thing would be a strop or strops. Minimally a 4 sided pasted strop with a plain side for daily stropping. My own choice was to go with a hanging strop and a 2-sided pasted strop with both sides pasted. I'd make the same choice again.

One of the newbie kits from The Topher on SRP. Unfortunately I don't think he makes them up any more. Mine came with a 5/8" Bengall, a Tony Miller limited edition strop, some soap samples, and an awesome Shavemac brush. I'd tell you the price but nobody would believe me. Worth every penny.

-Michael

I tend to separate out everything other than the razor and the stuff you need to support the razor. Everything else-- brush, soaps, creams, aftershaves-- you need anyway, and most straight razor newbies probably already have them. You need a razor, a strop, and something to keep your razor sharp. You might need the latter after a month, after a day, or anything in between, depending on how badly you inadvertently goof up at your initial stropping attempts.

I would start with a "shave ready" Dovo Tortiose special from classicshaving in either a 5/8 or 6/8 size (I like the 6/8 a little more), a Tony Miller Latigo hanging strop (the starter one is fine), and either a four sided pasted paddle strop from Tony or a 6X2 Yellow Coticule from Howard (I like stones, but many people like paddle strops). Use the same brushes, soaps/creams, and aftershaves that you are already using for your DE to keep at least the prep consistent when you are learning.

David

I, and a few others, have received a bad Super Gnome. They are somewhat hit and miss nowadays. Mine is so far out of alignment that I doubt I will ever be able to put a proper bevel on it.

Joe

Being adventerous as I am, I'd still get my razors from ebay. (I've been very lucky and got great deals!). I would still have gotten my strops and hones from classicshaving.com. One thing I would have done different would be to stick to one style of razor from the start. Either get nothing but round points, or spikes, french points or those crazy barbers notches. Just get one style of razor. I hate using a nice round point one day and having to adjust to a spike which turns up in my rotation. Spikes and french points are nice but just not my thing. I may eventually sell all of one style of razor to have just the style I like. Sizes and widths don't bother me, just the different styles.
Ernest

I didn't think there would be a unanimous view on this and I realise we all have our own preferences, so this has been useful and at least made me reflect on the choice a little bit more.
Shame about he bad percentage of the Super Gnome's...I was 85% convinced from the first fews comments but now have that slight doubt at the back of my mind...
I will let you know what I go for
Regards
Jem

Super Gnomes are cheap though. You might get a good one. Not a lot of dough to risk.

Of course, you could buy a vintage razor from a honemister here for less than you'd pay for a gnome. Then you would be getting a guaranteed good razor with a proven history of good shaves. That is what I did for my first. Scored a righteous little Imperial from heavydutysg135. Sweet shaver and way less than a Gnome.

Joe

Guys....I am struggling to find an on-line store with the Super Gnome...
Can you suggest a few links or PM me
Many thanks!

Yeah, I type real slow too. That's because I only have one pecker! :001_smile One pecking finger on each hand, that is.
Ernest

What is the difference between the T&I Super Gnome and the Dovo Specials

I realize different brands and that the DOVO offers many different scales. Are the differences more performance or preference?

Top Bottom