What's new

Simpsons Vanilla + Rose; Marco is right!

I just had my first shave with Simpsons newish Vanilla and Rose cream, purchased on Marco's strong recommendation. Was he ever correct! Vaults to the top of my creams.

In order to avoid madness and bankruptcy, I have mainly concentrated in rose soaps and creams, with a minor in almond. I love these two scents, and I seem to dislike so many others that people love, like sandalwood, mint, lime, fougere, etc.

This is a soft white cream, no nasty dyes. The aroma is most appealing; I didn't catch any vanilla notes, but the rose is clean and pleasing. Doesn't have the authentic attar-of-rose scent that Rose of Bulgaria or Queen Charlotte Soaps Rose Otto creams have, but it is certainly rose, not some vague floral like TOBS, and much more pleasant than the luridly pink and artificial smelling Trumper rose cream. Certainly as good as D. R. Harris or Truefitt + Hill rose creams, in aroma.

The performance was more than outstanding, certainly one of my top two or three performing soaps or creams. I mounted up a big pile of thick lather quickly in my warm bowl. (I bowl-lather exclusively.) My usual two-pass-and-touch-up shave gave me great BBS results, with no irritation. Same razor and blade and brush as my last shave. The lather was thick and clinging, but not too slick.

Now, later, I still can catch a very mild and welcome scent from the cream, an unexpected benefit! Thank you, Marco.

I am definitely putting this on my "need to try" list. For me, the reigning Rose champ is T&H (although I have yet to try QCS). Your comment that the vanilla note was non-existent is what sold me. Not that I hate Vanilla, I much prefer it to be the second fiddle when it competes with Rose.

I am definitely putting this on my "need to try" list. For me, the reigning Rose champ is T&H (although I have yet to try QCS). Your comment that the vanilla note was non-existent is what sold me. Not that I hate Vanilla, I much prefer it to be the second fiddle when it competes with Rose.

Yeah, that was a pleasant surprise to me; like yourself, I don't hate vanilla, but I do like my rose to be rose, not some combo. Very glad I received this the day before my October Restraint started; I could happily use it all month.

Best advertising a shaving products company could ever do is put Marco's name on it. We all value his opinions with highest regard. Ive made quite a few purchases on reading his recommendation, and looks like ill be making another one.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Gents, this morning I used the Citrus Burst and performance was on a par with the rest of the line, ie superb as usual. It has a nice "fresh" citrusy scent that I certainly do enjoy, but the Vanilla & Rose is still my #1 pick in Simpsons Luxury range. I really love that sweet English Rose. :001_wub:

While I lean towards soaps - Simpson's is one of the few creams that I use regularly. A very nice and under-appreciated product IMO.

I just ordered some samples of creams for my wife and ordered a sample of Simpson's Vanilla and Rose cream for her and M's. Boy was Marco right!!! I thought I might have had to much water in the brush but I had to add a little bit more. It made fluffy creamy lather. At first I thought I might have not a blade in my razor. I have my slim set on 8. Definitely a soap lover's cream. The rose scent was nice not as strong as TOBS Rose could not really smell the vanilla. Afterwards face was as nice as using a soap. And a lot easier. But I will have to get me a more manly scent or unscented.

Oh, I think that rose is a very masculine scent. Been used for years by big old guys like me. I use only a few aroma "families:" rose first and foremost, almond second (go, Cella!) A couple of others, but those 2 make up 90% of my soaps and creams.

Didn't Marco say that the unscented Simpson is really good? Somebody did.

I am finding that the real, authentic rose smells are better, for me, I stress, than the fake-o ones. TOBS Rose, while being a good performer, smells nothing like, um, roses. That's why I like Simpson's, Queen Charlotte Rose Otto, Rose of Bulgaria, and Salter's Wild English Rose.

One to avoid is Vulfix English Rose. Now that one does really smell like Granny on a bad day.

Top Bottom