What's new

I'm buying a house and could use some recomendations

I'm currently looking at buying a house and have put in an offer. All on that side is as fine and dandy as it usually is(Read it's a mess). But I'm now needing some stuff I've never needed before, such as, (Gasp) a mower and a weed whacker. I know I want to get a reel Mower, and the trimmers I'm looking at are tethered electrics. Do ya'll have any recomendations? I'm not really interested in the gimmiks, just in gear that will take alot of abuse and still last a long time. Any suggestions?

I would try a reel mower before you buy. If you have much yard at all, a reel mower will give you quite a work-out.

The last mower and trimmer I bought came from Craigslist. Give that a shot.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
I still have and use my Murray lawn mower from 1989. My first house as well. My granddad used to own a sporting goods store and he sold mainly Lawn Boys. State of the art for 1972 with self propelled. I pushed those around my dads yard for 15 years. My suggestion is to keep the features on the mower to a minimum. Less things to brake. A rear bagged is good with no self propelled.

This should make short work of any lawn. One pass and done!!!

$CLAAS.jpg

As long as the yard isn't too big, I've had good luck with the Black and Decker battery power weed schwacker (yard hog i think). Don't have to deal with fuel/oil mixes, and don't need to have a cord tether. If your lawn can be handled with a reel mower, this might work for you.

My Homelite weed eater was purchased new in 1987. Still runs like a champ! I lived on a horse farm for 8 years, this thing got used A LOT. I now have a quarter acre completely fenced and trimmed as needed. Came with two saw blades that could be used for cutting saplings up to 3" in diameter, cut like a chainsaw. Mixing the gas and oil isn't a big deal or a mess, just get a 2-5 gallon can and mix it up at the beginning of the season.

A battery powered weed eater, may be okay, but you couldn't give me one with a cord.

I have a Fiskars reel mower and couldn't be happier with it. It's easier to use than any gas mover I've tried. It ran me about $200 at Home Depot, which is a little on the pricey side. I can mow my lawn at 6 am if I wanted to without waking the neighbors. You can see reviews for it on YouTube.

I also have a manual edger that works just fine. The first time was a little rough, but after that, it was easy.

I still need to get a weed whacker, but so far it hasn't been an issue.

Last edited:
This should make short work of any lawn. One pass and done!!!

View attachment 502998

I'm guessing that rig may cost more than the house, but you might get a deal on a used one.

I have a small urban lot, and I took out what lawn there was and put in a garden of native plants. It is low maintenance, once established, and attracts a pleasing variety of birds and butterflies.

Don't know if that's any use to you, but I am just as happy not to mow or whack.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
I am not a fan of eclectic anything for use on the lawn, so can not offer any advise on these girly toys.......

Petrol weed whacker, I would go for a brand like Stihl or Husqvarna.
I have a Homelite that is about 18 years old and still going but my repair guy say the new Homelite is no where near as good as the old stuff. My next one will be a Husqvarna.

Lawn Mower. Reels are ok but take effort and you need to keep up with mowing the lawn or it will be a PITA.
Petrol is what I would go with. I have a Masport that is about 18 years old and is still going strong. It has a alloy chassis so rust won't kill it and a Briggs & Stratton 4 stroke engine.
There are petrol reel mowers, I am not sure if you are referring to them. Never used one but they would be ideal if you want a perfect mowed lawn. They are used on lawn bowling greens and cricket pitches, so if low and even is what you want then these may be the tool.

As Aaron has said you can pay someone to do it for you. That may be a good short term solution until you work out what you need/want.

Last edited:
Too hot in fl , wife convinced me to get someone. I did $15 week, they cut ,trim, edge and blow the mess away. Super deal for me, sold my mower.

Top Bottom